Going back to work after having a baby...

Feanorous

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new here and am not yet pregnant but we are planning to start trying very soon! (yay!) :)

One thing that is worrying me is going back to work after having a baby. I work as a retail buyer and it is pretty cut throat. There would be 100's of people who would want my job and happily be paid less just because of the status/brand if that makes sense.

My OH and I live 250 miles away from family and so if I returned to work the baby would have to go into nursery, which to be honest I am not that keen on but if it was for 3 days a week I think that would be ideal.

It would only be worth me going back to work money wise if the baby was in nursery 3 days, if it was full time then the cost of nursery would be more or less the same as my salary every month!

My question is, if I ask my company to let me work 3 days a week, where will they stand legally? Are they allowed to just totally refuse or do they have to give a very good reason? How would they work out my salary...just figure out what I earn daily and times it by 3 days etc?

This is the only part I am worried about!!!
Since there is a recession in the UK at the moment, I feel quite relieved to have a job, especially in retail!

Thanks for any advice, sorry for the ramble!

Hi hun, I am due to return to work in May this year when my daughter is 7 and half mths old. I requested to return 4 days or maybe have 2 afternoons off but my request was declined and reasons given which relate to the effects on the business , therefore I havent a leg to stand on. Hope your boss is more understanding than mine..... x

Your employer is bound by law to allow you flexible working hours to fit around you and your child - they have to have a very good reason to NOT grant you this and as far as I can see from the directgov website (its ace for looking up maternity rights etc) they cant really say no. Maybe have a look at the site yourself and do some research in to it xxx

Hi hun, I am due to return to work in May this year when my daughter is 7 and half mths old. I requested to return 4 days or maybe have 2 afternoons off but my request was declined and reasons given which relate to the effects on the business , therefore I havent a leg to stand on. Hope your boss is more understanding than mine..... x

Or maybe Im wrong.....?! :blush::blush::blush::dohh::dohh:

They have to consider your request but they don't have to accept if it would have a negative impact on the business.

I am self employed and although I don't employ any staff I have recently been looking into all of this so I know what id have to do if i did employ anyone.

For example if I employed someone fulltime Tues - Sat 35hr wk including 2 late nights and they went on maternity leave then requested when they come back they could work 16 hours and not do evenings or Saturdays then i would be within my rights to say no as evenings and weekends may well be the busiest times for me so that is when id need the cover, however if they requested it the other way round id be more likely to say yes. Sorry if ive not explained very well but the bottom line is that although an employer has to consider your request they do not have to agree to it if there is a good reason not to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->