Going back to work - expressing

AK89

Reaction score
So the time has almost come for me to go back to work :nope: I'm half terrified, half kinda alright.. I think I've come to terms with it a lot throughout the course of today. I've been just putting it to the back of my mind but this morning I came to the realisation that I've only got a month left! :wacko:

I'm still gonna be breastfeeding by then so I'm gonna have to express while I'm there. At the moment her feeds are a bit upside down! She barely feeds through the day (I think due to a combination of being too busy doing other things and not being too hungry cos she's on solids now) but she's waking up every couple of hours for a feed. She can go hours through the day without a feed but I've been trying to persevere and get one in her even if she doesn't seem hungry to try and flip things around, and pumping if it's been ages and she doesn't want any to make sure my supply doesn't drop cos I'm hoping she'll be back onto feeding through the day and sleeping through the night soon! :haha:

So basically, how many times should I be expressing through the day at work?

When I went back to work after my older two I expressed twice a day. It was hard work to be honest and if I could get away with doing it once a day I would, it meant I never got a proper break but that's partly because I'm a teacher so I could only express at break and lunch times.

I pumped twice at work. Violet's feeds were a bit backwards as well as she was not fond of bottles.

I expressed three times a day, but only once at work. My routine was this:
First thing in the morning - feed on one side, pump the other.
Lunchtime - express both breasts (enough, usually, to give a feed and a half for the next day)
As soon as I got home - feed on one or both sides, feed on demand through the evening.
Express both sides after baby was put down for bedtime.
Feed on demand during the night.

It's not easy, but it is possible. Good luck!

My baby is 9 months old. I went back to work when she was 3 months old. I have been pumping at work 3 times a day at 9am, 12pm and 2:30. We nurse first thing in the morning and when I pick her up after work. Then nurse as often as she wants to during the evening and night time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->