Going for to see the doc prior to TTC

HollySSmith

Mommy and a bit pregnant!
Reaction score
Well I have my apt to see our family nurse (yes there are not enough Dr.s in my city) prior to TTC at the beginning of Sept. I'm pretty nervous about what she will say.
My worst habit is smoking. Which my quit date is wednesday. I'm about 5'6 and about 165lbs. I wear a size 8-10. But when I calculate my BMI it says I'm overweight....I'm scared she is going to say its a no-go for TTC in Dec. I am trying to tone up but I dont feel like I need to lose weight but the good old BMI caculator has different ideas.
I mean, I'm very curvy (big in the chest and hips but relatively small in the waist). What is your experiences with this? Do you think it will be a problem? I never dieted but I work out regularly...also what usually happens in these appointments? Just a bit nervous that they will say I'm not baby ready....:cry:

Hun I would ignore the BMI thing. It always tells me I am seriously underweight but I eat a hell of a lot and I don't put that much weight on (I know its not fair lol). Told the nurse at my drs and she said not to worry as you know how you feel and look. From what you've said you sound like a good size and the BMI thing can't see that! Talk to them when you get there and say you don't understand it because you feel healthy. They will give you the best advice hun.

Jealous that you've got your appt, my OH is trying to persuade me to go on the pill, kind of the opposite of what I want!!

xxx

i'm with jillypoop. ignore the BMI reading. it's just a general guideline, but only you and dr know your body. Ask the nurse about it and maybe she'll give you a better insight about it.

BMI is rubbish, most athletes would be classed as clinically obese!!

If you're busty, then that probably accounts for some of the extra weight. You quite often see very big women pushing prams so I don't think you've got anything to worry about there.

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm an E size for my twins lol! I'm quite athletic so I have alot of muscle, (some flab too hehe) but I was just blown away by the bmi thing....I bet a man made it up lol. Thanks a lot for your responses. I guess I am just anxious as my nurse practitioner can be a total cow when it comes to things like this. I'm just trying to mentally prepare for the things she can pick on....

Thanks a bunch ladies!

Just be warned that the NHS is very fond of BMI so be prepared to be told that it's over the 'norm'.

I was told I was obese before having a breast reduction, I was initially told to lose 3 stone until the surgeon pointed out that it was all boob. I'm a 12-14 and by no means obese, I've got my wobbly bits but am very fit and healthy.

Well I know my both of my older sisters were heavier than I am now when they got pregnant. Mind you, this nurse has never made a comment about my weight before so I'm hoping she will be smarter than that. It doesn't seem to me that the BMI index is capable of reflecting human variation. When I was 18 I was a size 3, had a six-pack and still weighed 150lbs!
Is there anything else that can be issues during these appointments that you know of?

I went for my 'well woman' check up today with the nurse, they did height, weight, blood pressure and some routein blood tests, i also had to put in a pee sample to be tested!

I felt like a naughty school girl when she asked if there was a reason I wanted the checkup and I said yes as we were planning on TTC in december. Saying it out loud feels so strange and naughty hehe

lol. I know! So weird. It was funny last night DH and I went shopping and they were already selling christmas stuff (my DH is a grouch at christmas) and he started to complain about how it always fighting and non-stop running around. I reminded him that it could be our last christmas as just a couple and he was went beat red lol.
Ok good to hear that the checkup is not too stressful. I just hope that all goes well and that the nurse isn't trying to pick a fight like usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->