going of his milk - help!

bumpsmum

Mummy to Matthew & Daniel
Reaction score
Matthew is 7 weeks prem, 7 months tomo (24 weeks corrected) advised by paediatrician to start weaning to get his weight up which has went really well, he's now on 2 very small meals a day, breakfast and evening meal, however last few days he has really gone of his milk (will usually take 7/8oz 4 times a day) but lucky if he'll take 4oz now and thats a battle. Ob for the first year milk is the most important thing, any tips for getting him to take a bit more milk - he's more than happy to take solids instead of milk so been making things like porridge etc so he's getting an extra bit of mik, is this enough? x

This happened to Phoebe when she was about 5 months, turns out she wanted to drop a bottle but I was so paranoid she wasn't getting enough milk I was trying to feed her all the time. She now has 3 bottles a day each being 5oz and a 5oz at midnight maybe a bit earlier, she is on 3 meals a day though.

I struggle to get milk in to Molly too. She only takes 7oz in the morning and 4oz at night. I also give her formula in her cereal, and things like mash potato and scrambled egg, and lots of yoghurts, cheese etc.

I had the same problem when mine started weaning. I found that Elliot in particular hates being given a bottle except in bed now. So, what we do is feed him bottles in his cot (propped up on pillows whilst drinking). Timings have to be right, like when he's going to bed for a nap and enough time after solids to actually want it. But he now only has 3 or 4 bottles a day of 6/7oz, and I try and makes sure they have other dairy. But he is a lot better now than a few months ago when he would fight and scream not to have a bottle. It was awful! But I know now not to feed him a bottle when he's wide awake and downstairs or out and about cos he just won't take them!

I def agree he is trying to drop a feed - his tea time one! However he only gets 4 bottles as it is not sure he can drop one and continue gaining enough weight, he didnt have a bottle at t time he had his solids then bedtime bottle at 8pm and is now sound asleep in bed so he's not missed it (so far). Think if I make sure he gets plenty milk, cheese, yoghurt etc this will be enough, seeing HV on Fri and I know she'll not be pleased as she think he does not take enough now! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->