Going on a cruise for a week, okay not to pump?

susannah14

Reaction score
I'm going on a cruise in the beginning of May without my son and I'm really torn about what to do. Advice appreciated.

My son is 18 months and he's still nursing 3x a day, and I make somewhere around 12-14 oz a day. I would like to have dropped to 2 feeds by my cruise, but I don't think either of us is ready to totally stop nursing. Here's the problem: Pumping is a huge deal. It takes me FOREVER. I can't imagine I will want to sit in my stateroom and pump the required time to keep up my supply for the whole week. Not when there are fun things to do.

So, question: If, worst case, I don't pump at all, will my milk completely dry up? When I get back to my son, will I have anything left?

Should I compromise and just pump once a day, like in the morning?

We're going with my best friend and her husband and she said she would pump with me, but she pumps in like a quarter of the time I do, so not sure it would work out too well.

Thanks for any advice...I've never been away from my son this long...

I'm not sure whether it would completely dry up or not, but I can't imagine it being very comfortable. You'll probably have to pump just to relieve engorgement.

not sure if it would completely dry up, but it will lower your milk levels for sure. You would probably get engorged. And you could always pump with your friend for the same amount of time as she does and hope that helps to keep your milk levels up enough that you don't dry up.
Being away for a week your LO may get used to not Bfing and not want to do it when you get back.

In my experience you will be very uncomfortable. I recommend bringing the pump! You will thank me. :) also after a week you might notice a little less engorgement and your supply will definitely have gone down. I'd you are planning on continuing breastfeeding you should pump. If you want to stop you can reduce feeds prior to vacation and you should be okay. Even after stopping with dd1 at 15 months (and we were only on one feed a day ) I got very engorged

Thanks for the great advice girls. Based on your replies I think I'm going to pump once a day, and then any extra pumping will be bonus. I figure, if I'm going to be laying in a cabana for 8 hours, what's stopping me from bringing my manual pump and doing it under a towel? That way it doesn't take time away from other activities.

Capegirl, it's helpful to know that you still got engorged when you stopped at 1 feed a day...I was kind of assuming I wouldn't get engorged because of how floppy my boobs are now compared to what they once were.

THANK YOU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"