Going self employed

Char&Bump-x

Me and her
Reaction score
My goal for 2014 is to set myself up as a self employed nail technician. I'm quite close to finishing my course at college now so need to look into doing it sooner rather than later.

I'm currently a SAHM on income support, when i register as self employed what do i do next? Cancel my income support and apply for working tax credits? How long am i looking at being without tax credits for?

Just worried i'll be without any money but wages (which will be low) for a long time and it's putting me off.

I think there's or was a new business grant/allowance available for people in your situation. I'd get some advice from cab or job centre xx

You don't actually need to cancel income support, when you change your circumstances with tax credits they automatically notify IS and cancel your claim.

You won't be without tax credits- it changes over straight away

If you will be earning under the tax bracket make sure to complete a tax exemption form and you should still get housing benefit towards your rent if you don't earn that much x

This is my goal for the year also although I will be doing the Essential Nails course from home and then going mobile.

I'm not on IS though I used to be and when I started work I informed both the tax credits and DWP as they don't communicate with each other well and you really don't want to be hauled up for a fraud investigation. It is up to you to notify the DWP not the Tax Credits office.

Tax Credits in my experience can take upto 6 weeks to sort your claim BUT because you already have a claim I don't think you will be without money so to speak. You'll probably have to give them a rough estimate of what you expect to earn and they'll adjust your credits by that.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->