Gold plating rings??

cherry22

mummy to 1 after 3 losses
Reaction score
Hi all,

I only got married in october and i had my engagement ring re-plated (rodium) march time last year so not that long ago!
Both wedding and engagement rings are 18ct white gold!!

They are both looking slightly golden where they have worn but as ive only just had one ring re-plated im a bit gutted that it wont last!

Does enyone know if theres enything i can plate them in thats alot stronger so it'l last? like platinum?

x

Hey love - rhodium is a member of the platinum family. It all depends on what you do while wearing your rings as to how long the plating lasts - but generally it's about a year to 18 months.

I worked in a jewellers for 5 years and one of my collegues wore white gold - she would just pay for it to be double plated and said it lasts much longer. Obviously it's going to cost twice the price but it might be worth a try?

Obviously gold is yellow, it's the metals that it's mixed with that "bleach" it to a dull colour - so what you see underneath the rhodium plating is it's natural colour. 9ct white gold is usually mixed with silver and 18ct with palladium (another member of the platinum family).

There isn't any other option I'm afraid xx

Ya, bigbetty is right. Rhodium is just like platinum. So, no need to plate anything on your ring.

Thank you for replying!
I think ill ask them to double plate both rings and hopefully it will last abit longer!
I never take them off so i supose they do go through alot!
xx

I've never heard of this before... does it protect the rings or something? my wedding & engagement rings are 18ct gold & I'm wondering why they would need to be plated? is it just white gold that needs to be? xx

Yeah just white gold, because it has yellow gold in it when it wheres off it turns a dull yellow colour not the usual bright white gold!

So if yours are yellow gold you dont have to! x

If your rings are yellow gold Nicky then they don't need plating. All gold is yellow, it's just mixed with white metals to bleach it and it goes a very pale yellow colour. It's then plated with rhodium to give it that nice, bright and shiny finish xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->