Good First Fruit/Vegetable to introduce?

Tiger22

Reaction score
LO has been on rice cereal for a few weeks so starting fruits/veggies soon! Is there a certain kind that is best to try first?
I heard that if you start with something too sweet they might prefer sweet tasting things over like green beans and peas...? Also heard something about introducing yellow then orange then green fruit/veggies for some reason?
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Steer clear of fruit purees for a while. You need to shape a savoury pallet initially.

Sweet potatoes, soft boiled carrots (for BLW) or mashed, mash potatoe, chicken strips (BLW), smushed peas

banana slices are a good fruit to offer

The girls' pediatrician recommended starting with veggies, ideally pureed carrots, and then waiting a week or two later to introduce fruit - we started with pureed pears.

If you're going the pureed route then just try whatever is fresh. I started off with purees (for about 3 weeks before starting blw) I just went to th market and bought whatever was fresh ... butternut squash, carrots, sweet potato, parsnips. Not a fan of pureed fruit so only gave that to him about three times and he wasn't that keen anyways.

I now do blw mostly (he has finger foods and something I feed him sometimes like porridge or a puree at every meal if that makes sense) and today my lo had ...

Breakfast - banana rusks (which I make myself), melon and oats with prunes
Lunch - toast fingers, tofu cut into sticks, cucumber
Dinner - Quorn sausages, steamed carrots, toast fingers, bit of butternut squash puree to hide his reflux meds

Would stay away from really sweet fruits like mango or pineapple. But wouldn't say from experience you have to stick with only savoury; melon, pear, banana are all good first fruits. You could also try avocado or roasted root veg. Cucumber sticks or sliced tomato. Never heard about the colour thing lol!

I offered my older children these types of fruits and veggies and then slowly introduced other foods like spaghetti, bread, meat, cheese, oats etc.

Both children are fantastic eaters and eat whatever I put in front of them now.

Good luck! :)

What you said is what our pediatrician recommended to do. I didn't follow it exactly though. I started with sweet potatoes and tried the yellow things. Squash, bananas etc. However, LO refuses to take food off a spoon though so I had to dip rice rusks into purees until he started eating real bites of food. So we somewhat did BLW. He didn't really like the store bought jar fruits, they don't taste normal to me. He did well with banana pieces and avocado at first. He also LIKED pureed peas (despite what the doctor said). One of his favorites is soft boiled carrot pieces.

I started with carrots and sweet potato. For fruit apples, pears and bananas. Too much bananas and carrot can cause constipation so it's good to give them apple from time to time.

We started with pureed peas, sweet potatoes, avocado and finally chicken potato avocado mixture. Then moved on to pears and mangos as the first fruit. My lo is a year old and eats his fruit and veggies before anything else on his plate! I dont think it matters what you give first as long as its pureed real good :)

I agree with sweet potato and carrots. Those were thorrins first foods too. :) he loved them! Peas are a good first puréed. Avocados are great.
A couple of foods I tried the second month that I would advise you avoid until later: green beans and zucchini/summer squash. Although I pureed them he threw them up.

Now he loves zucchini chunks but still has a hard time eating green beans.

I did carrots the sweet potato then butternut squash. Introduced banana after that but actually as sb else mentioned it was a bit soon. He needed to get more used to savoury first. For when your lo is ready we did red lentils sweet potato carrot and onion and my lo loved it. I also did sweet potato butternut squash and broccoli and he ate that too. Fruit purees plum apple pear and banana. Not all together although no problem if it was :) he loved orange whiz zed up with natural yoghurt too and all the berries as well

Thanks! So far we have tried carrots and avocado and she likes them! I think we will try sweet potatoes and bananas next. How do you know how much to give them and when is it safe to introduce meat and cheese? So far we do rice cereal for breakfast, avocado for lunch and carrots for dinner...I wait 3-4 days before introducing a new item in case of allergies. Is it okay to continue with rice cereal too? And for peas, do you just buy the canned peas and then purée them?

I tend to use the AAP's website regarding solid food. In case you want to check it out :flower:

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/feeding-nutrition/Pages/Switching-To-Solid-Foods.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->