Good Jobs with No quals??

Abz1982

Mum to 2 nutters!
Reaction score
How do people do it? (and yes I AM jealous!)

I dont have a degree, I only have my Highers and some NC units. My sister doesnt even have standard grades and has no professional qualifications.

Ive been working since 2003, she has worked since 2007

I am basically.....the lowest employee on 21k (FT salary), I did run my dept for 4 months back in 2011 before they got a new member of staff and I have been there for 6 years this July.

My sister has just been promoted to a senior with supervisory responsibility and is on 34k a year.

She does have a high stress job sending folk offshore, mine its kinda sales and orders so my stress is getting a multi $$ orders quoted, manufactured and shipped. My senior is on nearly 30k as well .

I feel that because I am NOT willing to back stab, cant stay there till 11pm at night and have kids I am completely treated like a second class employee and the lack of reward/recognition for when I have achieved things has made me stop caring.

This hasnt helped :(. I just feel like why did I even go to school! What good has it done me!?!?! I should have left at 13 like my sister.

It wil be the company she works for. My best friend is a pilot up in Aberdeen, he flies the to the rigs and back.
He gets 3 times more than he did in the army.

Have you considered looking else where, comparing your salary to others doing the same job.

I do think the fact that you are limited to when you can work will have an impact, I don't think they are necessarily treated you like a second class employee, but, you have limitations intermes of what you can offer them.

I understand having kids shouldn't hold you back, however in the real world if a company needs an employee who can work until 11pm it doesn't matter how good you are, yu are never going to promotes to that position, and it will always be the person who can commit more fully

From an employers point of view it makes sound business sense.

As for comparing to your sister, that's not going to be healthy for either of you. I can't actually work out if you are saying you both work in the same company or not, but your jobs are different, so opportunities to mve up the ladder will also be different, and come along at varying times

It will depend on your sector and location. Departments like finance tended to pay better than "customer facing" roles like library staff in my local authority even though the level of responsibility could be the same. Scotland isn't going to pay as well as south east England for instance, but living costs usually balance that out.

I don't think it's healthy to obsess about pay, life is too short to slave away in a job you don't enjoy but because the pay is good. In my field to be an archivist you need an undergrad degree and masters, yet beginning pay is £22,000, I haven't spent 4 years of education and thousands of pounds of student debt for £22,000 a year lol but I've done it to spend the next 40 odd years doing a job I enjoy so I don't dread Monday mornings, that is priceless and more important I think :)

It will depend on your sector and location. Departments like finance tended to pay better than "customer facing" roles like library staff in my local authority even though the level of responsibility could be the same. Scotland isn't going to pay as well as south east England for instance, but living costs usually balance that out.

I don't think it's healthy to obsess about pay, life is too short to slave away in a job you don't enjoy but because the pay is good. In my field to be an archivist you need an undergrad degree and masters, yet beginning pay is £22,000, I haven't spent 4 years of education and thousands of pounds of student debt for £22,000 a year lol but I've done it to spend the next 40 odd years doing a job I enjoy so I don't dread Monday mornings, that is priceless and more important I think :)

Due to the oil industry up here, the cost of living is one of the higher in the UK, not as high as SE England but pretty darn high :(

I work for the NHS and I'm on a rubbish starting trainee salary but hope to progress in the years to come :thumbup: OH is a police officer and makes around £35k. Starting salary is about 20k though

Due to the oil industry up here, the cost of living is one of the higher in the UK, not as high as SE England but pretty darn high :(

I work for the NHS and I'm on a rubbish starting trainee salary but hope to progress in the years to come :thumbup: OH is a police officer and makes around £35k. Starting salary is about 20k though

Oh yes I had heard that about Aberdeen. One of those unfortunate things.

Yup, rather unfortunate it is so high :(.

We are the same industry, different fields......she makes sure folk are ok to go offshore and organises all that. I just do quotes and orders and shipping for the stuff the guys use, regularly handling orders that are like $1-2mil and making sure they meet the customs requirements of the country they are going to and that they get there on time and in one piece.

What bugs me about the hours thing is that we dont get overtime pay. And by some folk working insane hours they companies get an unrealistic expectation about what an employee can do. And then when faced with an employee who has to work normal hours, wonders why said employee is always too busy to do any other stuff they wish done. Or why there can be a back log.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->