Grandparent Middle Name

SonnyH

Reaction score
Just after a few opinions really.. we've decided on a first name for our little girl - Annabel (Annie for short).

I'd really love to use my Grandma's name as a middle name - Audrey. I was incredibly close to my Grandma and I think Annabel Audrey sounds nice.

All fairly straightforward but I'm honestly really worried about offending my other Granny, who is still alive! That side of my family (my mum & uncle in particular) tend to take things quite personally and get offended easily and it's really putting me off using Audrey. My Granny has a name I'm not keen on plus I'd like to stick to the one middle name.

Should I just cut the worry and pick an unrelated middle name or should I bite the bullet and honour my Grandma?! I really hate confrontation or conflict and I don't want to upset my family either! :-/

I would use the name Audrey. She is your child after all, and you might regret later it if you don't use it.

Do you think it would help if you talked to your mom about it first and she could somehow prepare your grandma for the 'blow' (that really isn't a blow)?

Isn't it just awful that at such a joyous happy time you have to worry about putting someone's nose out of joint rather than feeling confident family will love and embrace the good news. I'd say use Audrey, if you were close to her and she's passed I think it's lovely. If they are going to get funny they need to reconsider their priorities! You shouldn't be guilted into doing anything other than what you want! X

My partner is using his parents names as a middle name....i have not worried about offending people. Lifes too short.

I'd use Audrey (love it) and if your other Grandma kicks off you could fib and say that you think its really bad luck to name a child after someone who is still alive; in some cultures it is seen as bad luck to "take" the name of someone who is still alive, so its believable.

Agreed, I'd definitely use it. I've been in pretty much exactly that situation and had the "bad luck to name after a living person" line ready in case someone complained. In the end nobody did. But honestly, it was more important to me that my child could have their middle name after someone who was a great person and meant a great deal to me than I was worried about having to deal with another family member being in a huff for a wee while. Don't let their pettiness stop you from using a name you love!

I'd use the name anyway. Does your other grandma even know what the other's middle name was? Perhaps you can leave that tidbit out when you share the name. Otherwise, I'd go with the earlier suggestion regarding the bad luck reasoning.

I'll admit that I'm a little partial to the name Audrey as that's what we named DD when she was born (Audrey Elizabeth :kiss:).

I think the more people fuss the more detirmined I get. My mum will hate the boys name we have!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->