grandparents aka the-get-me-downs!!!!

welshcakes79

TTC + mum to Reebs
Reaction score
**SIGH**

is it just mine or does anyone else's parents constantly make comments about how you raise your babies/toddlers/kids???

todays were..

1. i wouldnt give her that (a toy for a 6+, Rhiannon is 4!)
2. why are you steralising that bowl for gods sake [/I](eye roll) (it was to put her dummies in to steralise)
3. yes we'll have her for you to do some work on the laptop (que 10 mins and 1 noisy baby later) "lisa how long are you going to be i have things to do you must have finished by now "...
4. why are you just giving milk in her last bottle i used to give you rusks in yours (how im still here ill never know!!)
5. stop forcing that in her mouth (her dummy, and i was only putting to her lips to see if she wanted it)
6. no wonder she's sick (i was playing with her holding her up in the air then bringing her down)
7. thats the worst thing you have started (i lay her next to me on the bed after her bath whilst she is asleep untill i give her her last bottle at 10.30pm)

these are but a few, i could go on but even this is depressing me, im trying to be a good mum and its my first time but it seems everything i do im just getting critisied for, please tell me im not alone in this thats other mums parents do it too..:(

:hugs:I know its hard but try not to take it to heart! "Mums" always know best, or they like to think they do!!
At one point I was changing Noah's bib or top at least 5 times a day when I didn't need to! I was made to feel like as soon as a drop of dribble/milk was on it it had to be changed!!

You make sure you do what YOU want & not what your mum wants.......it pays off in the end!!

xx

At one point I was changing Noah's bib or top at least 5 times a day when I didn't need to! I was made to feel like as soon as a drop of dribble/milk was on it it had to be changed!!

xx

yup been in that situation too

thanks for the reply, glad to know it isnt just mine that are insensitive to how im feeling ... the buggers!!!

:hug: yeah I hate it ....everyone thinks they know whats best for your baby:hissy:

but end of day its your child/children and YOU know best chin up hun xx

great at giving "advice" arent they?

i just totally ignore them now, i used to get it all the time when nicole was a baby.

"you should do this, do that. I did it when mine were young!"

i get all that especially the ones you listed i could go on pages and pages about how much they get me down i think its part of why i suffer post natal it realy drives me mad and because im young they do it more and more and i get really wound up and upset

Yup i get it too. Not so much from my parents though..but my grandparents and my ex's mum!

This is what i have:
"Why are you putting him to sleep on his back? I was always told to put you on your front!"

"6 months old and you've only just started weaning? We gave our kids solids at 8 weeks old!"

"Why are you just giving him just milk at bedtime...give him a rusk, it wont hurt"

"Don't know why u bother with all this car seat business.. in my day you just sat them on your knee!"

"If he's poorly, give him some brandy on a spoon!"

"Why dont you dip his dummy in abit of honey/sugar?"

"Yes he was no bother at all..he cried though sometimes so we just kept giving him more milk". WTF!!?

" It's warm out today..if yu take him out put his sunhat on and plenty of sun lotion..don't forget now will you.."

"What do you mean you can't make formula up in advance..it'll keep in the fride for a week!"

It used to wind me up and upset me..but now i just learn to laugh about it..times have changed and you know whats best as a parent. I dont think they mean any harm hun. x

buggers, glad to see its not just me getting it though...
really thought it was and i was begining to feel isolated with all the comments, they make me feel like im doing such a crap job at being a mum sometimes!!!
thanks for all the replies big hugs to everyone getting in the neck from others XXX

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->