Grasping at straws here - parma ham

Thanks beccad, yes that's how I meant it. Certainly not as in arguing.
AimeeM, I certainly understand your point of view, particularly given your experience. Sorry your son has to suffer with so much.
And I certainly didn't mean to offend with mentioning smoking, it's just a personal example of something similar in my mind, although I can see how it's not really a good comparator.

I'm really sorry for going off on one it just upsets that people can do no wrong in their pregnancy's and end up with a child with problems but yet others are careless and everything is fine. Sorry again xx

It it really encouraged in Italy? Just shows how different thing are from country to country.

On our list uncooked is a certain no-no but how about a goats cheese and parma ham pizza? Nice...!

Quote from the Guardian

"In England, we're told not to eat any uncooked meats, including Parma ham. In Italy, or so I've read, doctors encourage pregnant women to eat Parma ham because, they say, it's easy to digest."

At the minute I'm sticking to cooked ham (vacuum packed). I could maybe have it in a toastie? Someone else has suggested freezing it for 3 days then defrosting to kill any bugs. :shrug: I feel a bit mad even considering lol

It's also been suggested that it's ok as long as it's been stored properly. In Italy the main risks are meant to be from unwashed veg.

Saying that I decided to Try some prawns after being told they were ok. Then didn't enjoy it because I was worried about if they were cooked ok etc

If a woman hadn't toxoplasmosis before pregnancy ham doctors in Italy doesn't encourage to eat it (nor salami and meat not cooked).
Some people say that ham "seasoned" at least 24 month is not dangerous.

I'm Italian and I never heard a person (and a doctor!) encouraging to eat ham in pregnancy (without having had toxo).
I wonder if the journalist of the guardian has ever been in Italy... or talked to an Italian woman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->