Greece in late September

emyandpotato

Reaction score
Would going to Greece in mid to late September be a bad idea for a beach holiday? Kefalonia in particular! I don't mind the odd day of rain but we're hoping to be able to swim. Last time I went abroad we went to Portugal in April and it was horrid weather so don't want a repeat of that.

We went from the 14th to the 28th last year, Faliraki. Rained a couple of showers, absolutely beautiful aside from that and the perfect heat for the kids!

I went to Crete end of September one year and it was warm enough to sunbathe and went in the pool, if you want a more guaranteed weather I would choose the canaries, obviously chance of rain anywhere but statistically better weather canaries for September

I went to Crete end of September one year and it was warm enough to sunbathe and went in the pool, if you want a more guaranteed weather I would choose the canaries, obviously chance of rain anywhere but statistically better weather canaries for September

Never been to the Canaries but everything I've seen looks so tacky and touristy which put me off! Is it really like this? My worst nightmare is a Benidorm type holiday full of English restaurants and drunk tourists. I'm hoping Kefalonia will be quieter!

I have been to 4 Greek Islands and find them very similar to the canaries is the resorts. Also be to the 4 main Canary Islands Tenerife, lanzarote, gran canaria and fuerteventura. Any resort that us aimed at tourists are going to be very similar as people like home from home. If you want something less touristy you would be better with a small resort, try a travel agent to recommend a more rustic resort. The thing is though the tourist resorts are just that aimed, at tourists. I know thomson do a small and friendly brochure

I would only go in September.

I went in August a few years ago and it was unbearably hot! You couldn't even go onto the beach because the sand was scorching! Not good for young kids.

September should be lovely x

I have been to 4 Greek Islands and find them very similar to the canaries is the resorts. Also be to the 4 main Canary Islands Tenerife, lanzarote, gran canaria and fuerteventura. Any resort that us aimed at tourists are going to be very similar as people like home from home. If you want something less touristy you would be better with a small resort, try a travel agent to recommend a more rustic resort. The thing is though the tourist resorts are just that aimed, at tourists. I know thomson do a small and friendly brochure

That's why we've picked Kefalonia. Found a tiny studio in Fiscardo right on the beach and although it's a popular town it's not touristy with bars and clubs and highrises and things. Thomson do gorgeous small ones but a bit out of our budget which is only £800 including flights.

https://www.holiday-weather.com/kefalonia/averages/september/

Here not scorching hot but comfortable warm

Yeah seen that, thanks! Just seen a few people saying it rained their whole holiday so got a bit worried. I think 22 degrees will be hot enough, especially for LO who is very fair.

Im off to kefalonia next weekend so will let you know how it is! Its a very quiet island and not touristy really. We're going to skala and theres only tavernas really and a couple of bars (no strip yay)!

Im off to kefalonia next weekend so will let you know how it is! Its a very quiet island and not touristy really. We're going to skala and theres only tavernas really and a couple of bars (no strip yay)!

Ooh yes do let me know! Would be good to hear what it's like with little children. I hope you have an amazing holiday!

I've been to Crete for the middle two weeks in September and it was 30c every day. No rain whatsoever. It was perfect.

Kefalonia is one of our quieter islands :) not too touristy and a lot of Greeks enjoy it for that reason.

September is great for a vacation here as its not sweltering hot and you can take your LO swimming any time of the day :) I would suggest having something slightly warm for night time as it can get a bit chilly or windy...but overall I wouldn't worry about the weather :) you're still going to need a very good high protection sunscreen for all of you! The amount of bright red tourists we see each year is ridiculous!

We can only go on vacation in august due to my husbands job...which means we can only hit the beach very early in the morning or in the afternoon because of LO!

We also went to Crete for a week in Sept and the weather was perfect, warm but not too hot. No rain whatsoever :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->