Greedy baby help

mrscookie

Mama and expecting
Reaction score
Hi ladies, I just wondered if anyone could lend a hand. I dont really know if this is the right section since its about milk aswell as food.
Basically she has 5 bottles of formula a day, each at 7 ozs a time (down from 9ozs that she was having before I started weaning her)
She has a whole banana for breakfast, she usually skips lunch but occasionally will have a small baby fromage frais or small amount of home mad fruit puree, then for tea she has sweet potato/ carrot and swede.
Speaking to others, this does seem quite alot, but she STILL wakes at 4am for another bottle so she cant be that satisfied surely? Here is our routine-

4am- 7oz formula

9am- 7oz foruma

10pm- banana puree

2pm- 7 oz formula (sometimes baby fromage frais/fruit puree if she wants more)

6pm- 7oz forumla

6.30-7pm- root vegetable puree

10.30pm- 7oz formula

I want her to sleep through, but I also think I need to cut down her formula slightly maybe and give her more puree? I really dont know.
Thanks ladies

Oh and she is 5 months old tomorrow

Hmm not really sure, she sounds like she is having plenty during the day so not sure why shes waking at night?, could be habbit? personally I would not cut her milk feed down until she wants to, it should be her main 'food' for 1 year. why not try giving her some more veg puree for dinner too with her milk? not much help sorry x

Someone told me I should try cutting an oz here and there and to be honest I thought it sounded a bit dodgy myself too.
She eats til she is full up and spitting her food out, and I dont really want to get into the habit of giving her extra food at random times in the day incase she gets used to these. What is a rough normal intake of formula at 5 months?

xx

I think they should be having around 30-35 oz of milk, rosie has 5 7oz bottles, shes 4 1/5 months not had any solids yet. What about trying a bowl of baby porridge for breakfast wit or without the banana, might fill her up a bit more not sure x

Some babies just dont eat enough to keep them going all night :shrug: Amelie still wakes every 3-4 hours for a feed and shes on 3 meals a day now.. She's still really little and its actually more common for a baby to still wake for a feed at this stage than sleeping all night.

how about giving her a meal at lunch times hun or like someone else said maybe give her porridge for breakfast and then the banana for lunch

Like Blah said sometimes its just not enough, my friends baby eats 3 full meals with pudding and snacks and tonnes of milk well more than recommended and he still wakes up throughout the night about 2-3 times

Lou
xxx

Im gonna say the words i hate to hear so i appologise in advance.... shes not just thirsty is she? do u give her water or juice?

Im gonna say the words i hate to hear so i appologise in advance.... shes not just thirsty is she? do u give her water or juice?

Hey yeah she has 4oz of water a day, sometimes with her HIPP juice in it diluted, sometimes just water on its own.

Thankyou everyone for your replies. With her banana she does have a bit of cereal mixed in, sorry I forgot to mention that, she usually has fruity cereal or rusk with her banana.

I think I will attempt more lunch, today she had 2 lots of fruit puree so it could be the way to go. As long as you dont think im feeding her too much, I think that is my main concern.
:hugs:thanks guys xxx

i defo wouldnt drop milk! up until the last couple of weeks, katie was having 40+ oz of milk and 3 full meals! no advice with the sleeping thru, but defo dont drop the milk! some babies are just hungrier than others!

i agree, i've never been one to drop the milk feeds, i've just let maddi drop them as we go, she's one next week and still having 3x 7oz bottles a day normally.

i would probably try adding maybe a little baby rice to her evening feed, or maybe some fruit or something after her evening veggie's. its so difficult to no how to get them to sleep through melbo, hope she does soon for you as you sound like your doing a fab job :hugs: xx

i agree, i've never been one to drop the milk feeds, i've just let maddi drop them as we go, she's one next week and still having 3x 7oz bottles a day normally.

i would probably try adding maybe a little baby rice to her evening feed, or maybe some fruit or something after her evening veggie's. its so difficult to no how to get them to sleep through melbo, hope she does soon for you as you sound like your doing a fab job :hugs: xx

I agree. The rice is what seems to help A stay settled at night. :hugs:

As much as it sucks it might just be that she isn't ready. They don't have very big tummies, food digests really quickly and she might truly need those nighttime feedings for awhile. Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do, you just have to wait until their body is ready. Good luck!

Helena still eats in the night. My nurse said sometimes if they are active and big they just need that little extra in the night.

It doesn't sound like she is too high to me. She will start dropping naturally. :)

:dohh:
As much as it sucks it might just be that she isn't ready. They don't have very big tummies, food digests really quickly and she might truly need those nighttime feedings for awhile. Sometimes there just isn't anything you can do, you just have to wait until their body is ready. Good luck!

I didnt just start force feeding her one day, she started losing weight and the HV said I should try weaning her because she seemed like she could be ready.
I just wanted to know about quantity of formula and how much to feed her with solid wise and how much she should have etc.
This is the reason I didnt want to post in here, my first ever weaning post ever and the 'she may not be ready' thing came up :(
Its not been a problem for the last month she has been eating solids, she is gaining weight perfectly, and her poops are as wonderful as poops can be. Thanks though
xx

Oh you will know if shes ready, she def. sounds ready to me.

Let me go grab my handy book that I just quoted to Jaylene. :rofl:

5 - 7 Months, 5 - 6 Bottles a day, 25 - 36 ounces a day. She may be at the high end, my daughter is.

Sounds like you are doing good. I would try some more cereal or more snacks throughout the day if she is still hungry.

Oh you will know if shes ready, she def. sounds ready to me.

Let me go grab my handy book that I just quoted to Jaylene. :rofl:

5 - 7 Months, 5 - 6 Bottles a day, 25 - 36 ounces a day. She may be at the high end, my daughter is.

Sounds like you are doing good. I would try some more cereal or more snacks throughout the day if she is still hungry.

Thankyou Wend, I got some more rusks and wholemeal rice in today :D
xxxx

I didnt just start force feeding her one day, she started losing weight and the HV said I should try weaning her because she seemed like she could be ready.
I just wanted to know about quantity of formula and how much to feed her with solid wise and how much she should have etc.
This is the reason I didnt want to post in here, my first ever weaning post ever and the 'she may not be ready' thing came up :(
Its not been a problem for the last month she has been eating solids, she is gaining weight perfectly, and her poops are as wonderful as poops can be. Thanks though
xx

I never said anything about you force feeding her or her not being ready for solids?? I said she might not be ready to sleep through the night yet as their tummies are still small and food digests fast? I'm not sure how I offended you but obviously I did, I was just trying to say it's normal, it's not like she is abnormal for NOT sleeping through yet, some babies just aren't ready to and there isn't much you can do to make them. Hayden didn't sleep through until 15mo where Landon was at 4-6wks.

I think she just misunderstood what you wrote, and thought you meant she wasn't ready for solids.

I can see that what you meant isn't ready to sleep through without eating.

:hugs:

xx

I never said anything about you force feeding her or her not being ready for solids?? I said she might not be ready to sleep through the night yet as their tummies are still small and food digests fast? I'm not sure how I offended you but obviously I did, I was just trying to say it's normal, it's not like she is abnormal for NOT sleeping through yet, some babies just aren't ready to and there isn't much you can do to make them. Hayden didn't sleep through until 15mo where Landon was at 4-6wks.

I do appoligise, I took it as not being ready for solids as Wend said.
:hugs:

It's ok, I was just taken off guard. Sorry I wasn't more clear :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->