Green poop?

sixtwelve09

Reaction score
For the past two days my baby has wanted to eat non-stop...she stays on me constantly and the minute i take her off to try and get something done like go to the bathroom or shower, she screams. She sucks on her fists and just acts like she's starving to death. Also, her poop has been green which I read was an indication that she isn't getting enough of the high fat milk just the watery stuff. I dont understand how thats possible when she stays latched on all day long. She's gained 1pound and 7oz since her birth and our latch hasn't changed so Im not sure if that could be the problem. Has anyone else dealt with this? Im not ready to supplement her yet but im really clueless what my next step should be.

1lb 7 is a great gain well done :thumbup: are you letting baby completely drain 1 boob before swapping over? X

Could she be having a growth spurt? My lo feeds every hour when he's having one, I think there supposed to happen around 10 days, 3-4 weeks and 6-8 weeks!

Try and make sure sh empties one boob before offering the other

I've been told that the occasional green poop is nothing to worry about. It could be foremilk/hind milk imbalance, could be something you ate. Make a note of it but I don't think you need to worry unless it's constantly green and baby isn't gaining weight :thumbup:

Thanks everyone! I do put her on one boob for three or four feedings in a row. If I can still squeeze milk out of it then I put her back on. Im not sure how to tell when one is empty? She is 2 weeks old so it could def be a growth spurt, I just wasnt sure if her constant hunger was normal, im used to her eating and then taking a break for an hour or more. Now there is never a break

You will always be able to squeeze something out, they are never really "empty" you just make more. Switching every feed is ok.

Unless baby is not gaining weight, you don't need to worry about foremilk and hindmilk. All milk contains some fat and there is no point where the milk miraculously changes from one to the other, it gradually just gets fattier as the feed progresses.

Green poop, if indeed caused by an excess of watery milk is not a problem at all and will pass. It happened to us, and I was so worried at the time, but aside from my daughter being more gassy than usual, she gained loads of weight and was absolutely fine.

In my case, oversupply was causing her to fill up before the milk became very fatty and the problem righted itself after a couple of weeks. It does sound like your baby is going through a growth spurt. If this is the case, she is currently boosting your supply - do you feel very full when she is sleeping or not feeding? If so, you might be experiencing a high supply which she just can't keep up with right now.

Things will settle down. Growth spurts apparently only last a week at the most, usually just a couple of days. As long as her weight is good, I wouldn't worry, but if the feeding frenzy persists after a week or so, then you might need to see someone. HTH! :)

P.S. Babies getting a lot of foremilk often gain LOADS of weight very quickly (or so I have read) - and my baby is testament to that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->