Green poop

Bella12

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My little one is just about to hit three months old and for the last three or maybe even 4 weeks her poop has been green in color. She only poops once every 2 or 3 days and has plenty of wet diapers. At first I wasn't concerned, because she was drooling a lot and figured maybe it's related two her teeth. Yesterday was a particularly green, goopy, mucousy poop. The last time I spoke with the pediatrician about it she didn't seem concerned. Anyone have experience with this?

She's as happy as a clam. She doesn't have any colic or tummy issues. She appears to be gaining weight and healthy. I don't know what is causing the green poop.

And she is only getting breast milk either directly from the milk factory or pumping and bottle-feeding.

Is she breastfed only?

It could be an imbalance of foremilk/hindmilk. I had this issue in the very very beginning, as I was feeding from both breasts each feeding, so my son was getting more foremilk than hind. I started completely draining 1 breast before offering the other and it fixed the poop.

I have read that sometimes it can mean there is a food sensitivity.

Thank you so much for your reply. Yeah. She is only breastfeed.

I figured if it was a sensitivity she'd have other symptoms.... upset tummy or something.

I've been trying to have her eat off of one breast but she's a snacker. I'm not she she ever fully empties one.

At that age they get increasingly distracted by the world and will snack. This sometimes causes green poop due to overall not getting quite enough, but as long as the snacking is regular it shouldn't cause any real problems. You could try making sure some of the feeds during the day are in a disratction free zone (dark/quiet etc. - I know, very boring for you!) or if that isn't possible, try offering the breast more often (as sometimes they don't act hungry when they are interested in the world) so that loads of snacks add up to a decent size feed. Mucous and drool can cause green poop too though; it can't be digested and goes through the gut quickly bringing the milk with it meaning the milk doesn't quite get fully digested. My LO had a lot of green poo around 4months old when she caught her first cold, and from then on I noticed if she had a virus she'd get green poop for a while.

My dd had this too and it was mspi. I would try either giving up dairy or limiting it and see if it makes a difference! My dd didn't have many symptoms either. And I also tried block feeding first. Good luck !

Thank you ladies!

Noon_child she has definitely been taking in the world around her. She is likes to look, smile and babble everytime something is exciting.

Beemeck - My mother had a milk sensitivity as a baby as well as a neice. I just thought there would be additional symptoms. It's good to know that could be the only symptom. Did you cut all Dairy from your diet?

By having her snack on one side for 3-4 hours her poop has changed from shamrock green to lime green. So I'm hoping that's helping. She also has a cold thanks to her 2 year old brother. �� She is a very drooly baby. I don't remember my older child drooling this much. All day every day. Lol

Thanks again.

Oh I should have mentioned that I'm vegan so never ate dairy. Docs said dairy is normally the easy fix so for me I gave up soy and it cleared up but took the three weeks that they said it would .

My dd had this too and it was mspi. I would try either giving up dairy or limiting it and see if it makes a difference! My dd didn't have many symptoms either. And I also tried block feeding first. Good luck !

I'm not an expert on intolerances but if baby is happy, gaining weight, meeting mile stones etc. what are the benefits of treating it as an intolerance and avoiding dairy? Not meaning to challenge/question you or your choices, just genuinely interested.

Her green poop also had some specks of blood in it so I knew her gut was pretty irritated. She also has slow weight gain, nothing too concerning and docs haven't been too concerned, but I wanted to try and heal up her GI tract if I could and sure enough it worked !

My lo had green poop ebf for a few weeks around 4 months old ... She was settled , gai ing weight and overall well. I was advised to just keep going and wait it out unless she had any other issues .. She didn't and after a few weeks maybe 6 the green poop went away ! Was advised to watch her latch to make sure I was allowing her to latch deeply enough .

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->