Group b strep, is homebirthing possible?

dan-o

RMC's but mum to 3 now!
Reaction score
I'm quite keen on giving homebirthing a go, as we live within a district where the midwives actually prefer to deliver you at home (if everything goes normally & I can handle the pain OK obviously)

The only problem is I tested positive for GBS a couple of years ago following a MC.

Is homebirthing even an option for me? Or should I forget about it and just plan to go to hopsital?

:flower:

GSB is part of your natural flora in your body, but can infect a tiny % of babies during birth. Just because you had a positive result years before doesn't mean that you will have it at the point of birth for this baby. You can get re-tested if you like during your pregnancy. However, the NHS has about a 50% false negative rate, so lots of women unknowningly have GBS and birth just fine.. and that is just the ones that are tested!
No need to forget about your home birth at all!

I'm not the expert on this - but I know I women who is! Peanutbean is your women for this, she had her baby at home with a positive swab for GBS. Check out the Sticky thread in Home and Natural Birth for brilliant advice and loads of info.

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/504819-group-b-strep-support-thread.html

Let us know how you get on, and happy home birth planning - it is great that you have supportive MWs in your area.

XxX

Id ask to be tested again since it comes and goes.

I wouldnt bother getting tested again. I does come and go so you could be tested at 38 weeks and be clear/positive and that change 3 days later. Have a read of the support thread and weigh things up interns of what you feel is an acceptable risk. Birth is full of risks but it's a very personal decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->