Group Health Insurance Change - New Hospital/OB etc at 30 weeks argh

zorak

Reaction score
HI,

I am on my husband's group health insurance which is changing to a new provider on July 1st when I will be 30 weeks. This means we must change my OB/hospital to give birth in etc as the new plan is Kaiser.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I really can't afford any administrative delays getting appointments etc in my third tri.

I added my husband's insurance as secondary, but luckily the doctors I already see are all in network with them also. I would just try to call ASAP and let them know you need to switch quickly.

Most plans will cover your original doctor if you are in the middle of pregnancy...call and ask for details from your new insurance.

His work were trying to speak to the new insurers to see if there was anything they can do to pre-empt the change. Unfortunatly we have to wait until the official change date to start selecting my OB etc. I've told my husband if it comes to it and we are having issues he can just take me to the ER. At least I am insured it is just such a hassle.

I love my current OB but to stay with her I'd have to take a PPO with a $5000 deductable (which we know we will max since I am pregnant). The new plan is a HMO not unlike what we currently have, with the new one it will only be $500 for prenatal/postnatal care and delivery. Such a big difference!

Part of me is scared that the OB's will just refuse to take a new patient so late in pregnancy.

I switched to Kaiser at 20 weeks, and am so glad I did! When I called in to give them the name of the PCP I had decided on, I mentioned I was pregnant so they transferred me to the center near where I live and I was able to schedule an appointment with the OBGYN group right away. You can book appointments well in advance as well (I scheduled all of my appointments from 36 weeks to 42 weeks at my 36 week appointment). A lot of what they do is based online as well, so you can log onto their website and request an appointment, view test results, view the notes from the previous appointments, ask your doctor/nurse a question, view coverages under the policy, etc.

The group here mailed me a packet that I had to fill out and bring into the first appointment which was basic information about me and my health, and then I just signed a waiver to release my medical documents that they faxed to the previous OBGYN group. Very easy! They also gave me my choice of which hospital I wanted to deliver at during my first appointment.

The only thing to watch out for is double billing; I save all of my statements I get from them, and if they keep a charge on the next month's bill that I had paid on the previous month's bill, I just send copies of both bills and tell them that I have already paid such and such charge. They update their system and everything is good. To me it's such a small hassle from the problems I had with my previous insurer, and the quality of care I have received from Kaiser is so much better.

Good luck!

I switched to Kaiser at 20 weeks, and am so glad I did! When I called in to give them the name of the PCP I had decided on, I mentioned I was pregnant so they transferred me to the center near where I live and I was able to schedule an appointment with the OBGYN group right away. You can book appointments well in advance as well (I scheduled all of my appointments from 36 weeks to 42 weeks at my 36 week appointment). A lot of what they do is based online as well, so you can log onto their website and request an appointment, view test results, view the notes from the previous appointments, ask your doctor/nurse a question, view coverages under the policy, etc.

The group here mailed me a packet that I had to fill out and bring into the first appointment which was basic information about me and my health, and then I just signed a waiver to release my medical documents that they faxed to the previous OBGYN group. Very easy! They also gave me my choice of which hospital I wanted to delivery at during my first appointment.

The only thing to watch out for is double billing; I save all of my statements I get from them, and if they keep a charge on the next month's bill that I had paid on the previous month's bill, I just send copies of both bills and tell them that I have already paid such and such charge. They update their system and everything is good. To me it's such a small hassle from the problems I had with my previous insurer, and the quality of care I have received from Kaiser is so much better.

Good luck!

Thanks that is good to hear! I am currently with Aetna and use the UCSD network in San Diego. They have a brilliant online system too. I am not too bothered about who the OB is (I am from the UK and if I were to deliver there it is just the luck of the draw on that night) I just want to make sure I get appointments really quickly.

Part of me is scared that the OB's will just refuse to take a new patient so late in pregnancy.

If it helps any, we relocated from central PA to coastal NH when i was 32 weeks pregnant with DS1. I had no trouble getting a new care provider. (this also meant different health insurance, since we relocated for a new job for DH) but either way, i was late in my pregnancy and still got the care i need :)
Believe it or not, some women change providers, even last minute, bc they learn things they dont like about their current provider. There are many reasons why ppl switch care and typically they dont have issues, regardless of how far along they are. Most OBGYN offices wont turn you away BC of how far along you are. It usually has more to do with if that office is accepting new patients or not (bc of other reasons) It might sound cold but business is money, so as long as they arn't maxed out with patients, it shouldn't be hard at all to get in.

That straight out sucks! I know when my company changed a year ago, they had to let you stay with your current providers if you were receiving treatment for a prior condition. Bless your heart, I hope it turns out ok.

That straight out sucks! I know when my company changed a year ago, they had to let you stay with your current providers if you were receiving treatment for a prior condition. Bless your heart, I hope it turns out ok.

I think the difference is that we could stay with our current provider but the cost massively jumps up (from $500 to a $5000 deductable). Unfortunatly I just can't justify that expense when I know we have a much cheaper plan available. At least my pregnancy so far has been uncomplicated, it could be worse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->