Growth Charts

JennyLynn512

Mom to four
Reaction score
Alright...I've got a couple questions about growth/development charts. Valerie is now 8 months old and is a little over 17 lbs. Which puts her in the 25th percentile. At her 6-month check up she was in the 40th percentile. At her 4-month check up she was in the 60th percentile....do you see the trend? Aren't they supposed to develop a trend on ONE certain percentile? Valerie just seems to be dropping slowly and not staying on one line? Now; on the other hand...she is in the 95th percentile for her heigth with being 30 inches long right now. So I know she is growing....her weight just isn't keeping up with her heigth.

My mother has a theory. My husband and I were both very skinny babies. We were only ever in the 10th percentile for our weight. Valerie was born quite heavy and was above average throughout the first 3 months of her life. She thinks it may be possible that she is now starting to steady out and decrease to what her "genetic" weight should be. (taking after her father and i and that is why she is slowly dropping down).

She is very healthy and is still putting on weight, she's way above average for her heigth, she eats great (about 2 1/2 jars a day; plus 20-24 oz. of milk), and is VERY active. I guess I'm just concerned; as I have been doing reading about how doctors look for a steady line of growth and if children don't have one, they look for a serious illness or other reasons why they aren't steadily growing on a curve.

Sorry for the ramble....just been thinking alot about this lately and wanted to know what you ladies thought. Thanks. Oh yes, Valerie is 100% breastfed; don't know if this makes a difference or not.

Sounds completely normal, they tend to thin out as they get older and more mobile

i would take it all with a pinch of salt, those charts havent been updated for decades.

chloe is off the chart for height, was born on 25th and is now 91st for weight. if she is healthy and happy then thats fine!

Caitlin on her 8 month check was the same weight I think! Loves her food although fussy on milk but always has been, healthy happy ...what more to say?

I in the very early days ignored all this chart lark and in fact we didn't take her to the baby clinic for weigh ins when shes had her jabs & her x week x month checks I've got her weighed for curiosity thats it ..thanks - bye lol so never understood thispercentile lark its never worried me & I'm happy with that decision. Will be same for bump :D

x

We actually spoke to the doc about this yesterday.
He said that normally by a year they will have found their percentile and it will start to follow that line. He has even seen babies who only evened out at 2 years. The one he was talking about was a jockeys baby that was born at 4kgs, which is above average, but after 2 years he stayed right at the bottom of the graph.

Our boy was average when born, but now at 7 months he is above average for his age, both height and weight. My dad is a big tall guy and so is my husband so it makes sense.

How did you feed in the early months? Apparently the charts are based on formula fed babies and breastfed babies tend to put on weight totally differently. I wouldn't worry about it, sounds like all the nourishment is going to bones rather than fat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrsA3000
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->