Growth problems

happyface82

Reaction score
Hello girls!

I hope you don't mind me joining you from the 3rd trimester as I thought you might have a better idea about this matter! :thumbup:

I went in for a growth scan on Tuesday morning and doc said baby is not he small side. Her weight is on the 30th percentile which is not really bad, but in general she's smaller every time and I thought we'd have a bid baby. All my family have had big babies, we are all quite tall!

Anyway, doc thought he'd do a doppler scan to check the blood flow and the figures we got were off the chart! Not sure if anyone is familiar with them?
We got: L. Uterine Artery: PI 1.13 and RI 0.63 which is completely off the normal range and P. Uterine Artery: PI 0.85 and RI 0.54 which are both on the upper limit of normal.

Doc suggested that there might be a growth problem that we need to monitor and I should aim for 34 weeks if things don't go well but of course its early to tell.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice? They also told me to take it easy and not do too much. No sure how this helps but hey. . .

Sorry for the long post! Any advice would be very welcome! :hugs:

Yep, sort-of .... I can't remember my PI/RI numbers, but I had uterine arterial notching, which affected Andrew's growth. I was initially told to expect 34-36 weeks, but the situation worsened with each doppler scan. At 28 weeks they gave me steroid jabs to prepare the baby's lungs, and at 29+1wks I had an emergency c/section.

Andrew is doing just fine now! His story is here - linky. He had severe growth restriction, born weighing just 638g. But he was perfect, just small - so the standard neonatal care kicked in to help him finish preparing for life outside of the womb. He came home just two days after his original due date.

I wasn't really told to "take care", though I think they knew I wasn't the marathon-running type anyway :rofl:

Best suggestions I can make (with Andrew squawking next to me, so I can't really think just now!) is to (1) stress as little as possible about it and (2) given that your baby will most likely be a preemie, see if you can take a tour of the Baby Unit now, so that it's not so scarey later. Oh, and ask what kind of "outreach" care you get once baby is discharged - I was lucky and had midwives for six weeks, but I gather some don't get this level of treatment.

hey huni, no experience of this im afraid hun but wanted to send some positive 'growing' vibes your way. As marley has said maybe be prepared for a prem at 34ish weeks and browse through this section. A tour would be great.

Will be thinking of you and your baby girl xx

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me! :)

I have spoken to a consultant and I need to have lots of bloods tests tomorrow, as well as another scan on Monday plus take 1 aspirin a day and have blood thinning injections :( I've had them before, but only for 10 days, now I need to take them till she is out! Not looking forward to that!

I was told our aim is to get to 34 weeks so lets see what happens!

I think I will stay on this forum to try and find out as much as possible and prepare myself!

Thank you again! And I will keep you updated!
:hugs:

xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"