Growth scan and what happens?

jw1555

Reaction score
Hi what happens at a growth scan? I know it sounds fairly obvious what they are looking for but I am just wondering exactly what they look at?

I have one on Tuesday so will be interested in responses xx

During mine they just measured baby, and checked her organs and such. And I think they looked at the cord too.
They also checked my placenta and listening to the wooshing of it. But I was bleeding at the time so it was to check if it was coming from the placenta. Not sure they'd do this on a normal growth scan.

Hi what happens at a growth scan? I know it sounds fairly obvious what they are looking for but I am just wondering exactly what they look at?

Just remembered we both commented on a thread last week about growth scans. Yours is tomorrow right? Hope it goes well xx

mine did stomach circumfrance looked see if bladder functioning an if baby was head down. Never been told a weight.

I've had 3 so far, have another on Thursday. They measure head, belly and legs to get an estimated weight to make sure baby is growing properly according to the scale that's in your notes. They may check placenta and cord to make sure blood is flowing properly.

Head measured, stomach measured and thigh bone measurements all happened at my growth scans and I had them every 3/4 weeks after the 28 week mark.

They can also check fluid levels and they check the placenta and the fluid going through the baby and kidneys as well.

But they'll be able to put the head stomach and thigh measurements into a computer that gives them a rough guestimate of how much your baby will weigh, and if there's anything behind or ahead of size. Eg, if the tummy is behind compared to the head and legs. Then they can see early on if there's a problem. But usually it's pretty standard :)

Usually nothing to worry about, I had mine because my original BMI was quite low and I have suffered on and off with being underweight for years (apart from whilst being pregnant, I've piled the weight on!).

You won't be able to see a great deal on growth scans though. bit too distorted after 20 weeks to make out much detail!

what the other ladies have said, plus to check to see how baby is laying.

I had one at 25 weeks where she just did all the measurements they do at 20 weeks again, I was told an approx weight at the time. I have another on Thursday which I'm worried about as it's with a different consultant, and the one we've had a couple of times previously was so lovely and reassuring. Having them as baby has something in her liver (spot of calcification they suspect) which they don't think will cause problems, but are checking on just to be sure.

Just remembered we both commented on a thread last week about growth scans. Yours is tomorrow right? Hope it goes well xx

Thanks hun! Yes today at 4pm, I'll let you know how it goes! Hope yours goes well tomorrow xx

I had about 3 already LOL! Next one is next week.
They just check that there's enough amniotic fluid, measure the head, tummy and leg length and then they get the estimated weight.
It's about 5-10 minutes, nothing fancy but fun to see the baby again :)

I had a growth scan just before 31 weeks. Have another tomorrow. I'm having them because my doctor is concerned about baby being big. In addition to measuring all of the things that the other ladies have mentioned, the system our doc uses puts baby at a certain percentile for gestational age. At our last scan, they measured him in the 99th percentile and told us that if he measures above a certain weight (11 pounds) at this one then they'll offer us a csection. I'm concerned because of the inaccuracy of ultrasounds and not wanting any unnecessary interventions. Of course, the idea of pushing out an eleven pound baby is also fairly daunting.

i had them last preg too an never told my babies weight. Just that bubs measuring this preg right for gest age an my last was 2weeks behind but they werent concerned. She was born 6ib 7oz. An my oldest was 6ib 12oz. I get them due havin severe pre e in labour with son an got high bp no2 (which may explain small babbies but am only 5ft 2-3inch an my mum didnt have any bubs bigger than 6ib 13oz).

I have mine tomorrow at 34w because baby is measuring small or more accurately, I'm measuring small (a week behind) so my doc wants to check everything. She thinks it's because I'm tall so that's why my belly isn't that big, but I'm also 40 so checking the placenta is important since the quality of older lady's placenta is a big deal apparently.

Hi all, I am back and it was fairly quick! They measured everything and then I had to go back to the waiting room, they came back out about half an hour later to tell me that everything was fairly normal but LO was measuring large on her abdomen so I have to go back tomorrow morning for another GTT test, so a little nervous for that but glad they are doing it so quickly. They estimated babies weight at 5lbs 10 at 34 weeks + 1

Had mine this morning. Turns out like my doc suspected, I'm tall and with a long torso, so the baby isn't measuring small it's actually fine, in the 55th percentile and it's all good. Phew!

Had mine this morning. Turns out like my doc suspected, I'm tall and with a long torso, so the baby isn't measuring small it's actually fine, in the 55th percentile and it's all good. Phew!

Glad to hear yours all went well!! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"