Guide To Getting Pregnant

amylk87

WTT for No.1
Reaction score
I recently purchased Zita West's Guide to Getting Pregnant (i know i'm still only WTT but i wanted to see if there was anything i needed to do to prepare my body for TTC :blush:)

From what i've read so far, its really interesting. It starts off with the basics of fertility, going through women and men's fertility.
It explains the best way to get to know your cycle and when you will be most fertile, she says the best way in telling you're ovaluating is checking CM, she states checking temperatures is inaccurate and cause women more stress than its worth. She talks about men's fertility and how you can improve that also.

What i've liked so far is that she says TTC shouldn't be about timing and only having sex when ovulating, she says you should have sex because you want to, as women who just want sex to get pregnant can make their partner feel used, and can be under such pressure to perform.

I would recommend it, there are also case studies of women who have had trouble conceiving but it was all resolved with just basic advice and information.

That sounds really good! I wouldn't mind giving it a read, most of the stuff I've seen before just tells you how to track your cycles, and how to improve fertility rather than looking a bit deeper, like at the emotional side. How much was it? Thanks for the recommendation! :D

£15, but i got it off amazon, where its cheaper, £9.72 :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zita-Wests...t/dp/0007173717/ref=pd_ts_b_3?ie=UTF8&s=books

Plus, she does talk alot about the emotional side of TTC, how its important to keep your relationship strong etc.

Sounds pretty good, I'd like TTC to be quite an emotional experience rather than just routine :? don't want my OH to think I want him for his :spermy: and nothing else! :haha:

I would defo say that emotions have a huge part in TTC. Although tracking CM and BBT are great ways to get comfortable with your body. I think love and doing the BD because you enjoy it is just as important!

Im lucky I have sex evey 2/3 days at the least so hopefully i wont have to try to hard to get pregnant

I really want to get a book like this, just so i have something to refer to and so i know all i can before we ttc but i think if i bought it OH would freak out!! :( xx

I really want to get a book like this, just so i have something to refer to and so i know all i can before we ttc but i think if i bought it OH would freak out!! :( xx

I bought two pregnancy books from celebrities a few months back for general curiosity and my OH freaked out but I sat him down and explained it was simply for future reference. He's been fine about it since :hugs: x

What i've liked so far is that she says TTC shouldn't be about timing and only having sex when ovulating, she says you should have sex because you want to, as women who just want sex to get pregnant can make their partner feel used, and can be under such pressure to perform.
I think this is very important to remember when TTC.

This is a bit off topic, but did anyone read "Marley and Me"? In it the woman is TTC and her husband (who is the narrator of the book) talks about how sex just turned into something to get to an end goal and it lost it's appeal because she made it so impersonal. She'd be like "ok, I'm O'ing today, let's do it now!" as opposed to even attempting to make it appealing. It made him feel like a sperm donor, not her husband or lover.

It's something that stuck with me, because I don't want it to turn into something we have to do, I want it to continue to be something we want to do. :kiss:

I bought two pregnancy books from celebrities a few months back for general curiosity and my OH freaked out but I sat him down and explained it was simply for future reference. He's been fine about it since :hugs: x

He would probably still freak out :shrug: Maybe i should buy one to read on my lunch break at work - thats would get a few people in the office talking :haha:

x

My OH doesnt know ive got it lol, i think he will be abit weary as we're not trying for atleast another 8 months lol. But like webbykinskt said, i'll just tell him its for future reference. Theres alot of nutrition too, so i'd rather start making changes over a couple of months rather than rapid, extreme changes. So knowing what i need to do to prepare my body will take more than a few months, so reading it now is actually a sensible thing :)

My OH doesnt know ive got it lol, i think he will be abit weary as we're not trying for atleast another 8 months lol. But like webbykinskt said, i'll just tell him its for future reference. Theres alot of nutrition too, so i'd rather start making changes over a couple of months rather than rapid, extreme changes. So knowing what i need to do to prepare my body will take more than a few months, so reading it now is actually a sensible thing :)

I agree that being prepared is much better than trying to squeeze it all in after you fall pg! And by then it would be too late for nutrition. So DH has nothing to worry about you're just a well prepared momma to be! :thumbup:

Hrmmm I may just invest in that this Christmas! A present to myself :haha:

Thanks for the tip! :hugs:

I always read online about stuff anyway hehe, so getting a book isn't much of a difference!

I think stress plays a huge part, but I disagree that temps aren't useful! They are incredibly useful x

I don't think i could do the temp taking, the conditions are too much. You need to have slept for 3 hours etc. I think when she was talking about temp taking, she said women get so stressed about them, especially when they dont make sense or you've not slept properly etc - and the stress can affect the TTC. She says checking CM is just easier and more effective.

They aren't that bad, unless you get up at different times. I've been charting since April 07 and it couldn't be easier! It is stressful when planning a baby, but I'm not, and it's fab lol. I can understand it's stressy, but it can be even more so if you're not, as cm doesn't tell the whole story. For example PCOS causes on and off cm. Temps are good for confirming O, if you don't, then you won't fully know.

OPK's have negatives as well, they aren't always accurate. I think with TTC it's important to do all to get a full picture x

True, using different methods will help get a better idea of when you ovulate. The book also talks about OPKs in that they shouldnt be used alone, you should use them to just confirm ovulation - after checking CM and temps, you think you're ovulating, checking with OPK is good. Otherwise the book says not to rely on OPK alone.
Hopefully i won't have to do much charting lol and just get a bfp straight away lol

I've not tried yet, but for a few months I was using OPK's to confirm and it really frustrated me. Every day around O waiting for a positive! I don't know if I'll be using them tbh. I know my cycles really well now, so hopefully we'll be ok, but I think it'll take a good few months for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->