Guilty feelings about high weight gain

inperfected

Mum to a 29 weeker
Reaction score
I know, I'm going to sound stupid compared to you all who are struggling with low weight gain, but I'm struggling with the opposite. Well the emotions around it.

Our boy had been putting on about 170gm (5.6oz) every 4 days for a wee bit, then we did the weigh in today, and he'd gained 300gm (10oz). Yes in 4 days. He sat at between the 3-4lb mark for quite a while, but then has shot past the 5lb mark and moving towards 6. He's only 34 weeks gestationally yesterday. It sounds stupid, but I was kinda looking forward to having a smaller baby for a wee bit longer, well, not small as in not growing, but a normally growing baby... A NICU nurse today said she'd never seen such a big weight gain in 4 days (she is a friend who was in the room for the past three days). He's still on high flow nasal cannula oxygen and solely tube fed (with HMF and attempting breastfeeding). Has anyone else had things you feel guilty about feeling sad about?

I think for me I was worrying about him being about 10lb before I even got him home!! I was torn because I was made up he was thriving, but at the same time it felt more so like the time in hospital was dragging, I wanted him home as a "newborn" ... luckily he responded really well to his hernia op and came home all of a sudden! I do get it hun.
Having said all of this, he had a real struggle at about 8 months with his weight. In hindsight I could have kicked myself for stressing over good weight gain x

Thanks heaps for that... I guess you've put it so clearly into words for me, "I want him home as a "newborn"", thank you. I am pleased he's gaining as it's obviously helping his lungs and development and having more and more strength to attempt feeding and thank you so much for not just saying not to feel that way.

And thanks to the person too who messaged me, I really appreciate it (and will respond when I get the chance.)

:hugs: I read your post before and I just couldnt understand how you felt that way - but I totally do now you've explained it!!! :hugs:

Although Connor is a slow weight gainer in the early days he did have some big gains of a lb a week. Hugs to you, it really can be a rollercoaster of emotions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->