gutted-less gutted after sleep-

milkmachine

Formally uv
Reaction score
i just had midwife out for a sweep and check over. she basically told me i wasnt going into labour on my own and might as well book an induction. cervix is 2cms dilated but she couldnt reach enough to get a good sweep done and baby is back to back. shes coming back on monday to book me for monitoring and to discuss induction further as i wasnt prepared to entertain the subject today.

Don't give up hope hun, get bouncing on a birth ball see if that encourages him down and round a bit more xx

apparently she can feel head cause hes fully engaged but couldnt sweep effectively enough dosent make sense to me..... forgot to add ill be refereed to consultant on monday too

Go for a swim, that may shift baby from back to back to the right way round. And have a look at https://www.spinningbabies.com/ . I reckon if you get baby in a better position you've got a good chance of going into labour naturally, especially with a 2cm dilation.

With my last LO i had 2 "failed" sweeps one at 41 weeks and one at 41+2 at the time i was told my cervix was too high and still closed! and didn't look like i would go into labour any time soon!
At which i went home and cried!
But I did go into labour and have my homebirth at 41+3!! so don't give up hope!

;-) x

i am so gutted. got to get on with these turning exercises. i would love to go for a swim but there isnt anyone to look after my toddler

so sorry mm, don't give up hope of your natural home birth, things have a strange way of working out sometimes!!

Have you considered trying nipple stimulation to get things going? I've heard that can work.

Have you considered trying nipple stimulation to get things going? I've heard that can work.

Oh I was talking to DH about this the other night, it was something I did when pregnant with Ed and I went into labour the next day. I have come to the conclusion though that it won't do anything this time since he has been BFing all the way through :shrug:

Hiya,

Sorry to hear things aren't turning out as planned.

With regards to the back to back thing, I was really uncomfortable at about 35weeks with the baby in an odd position and someone suggested I spend some time in the 'polar bear' position. I did this a couple of times, the last time for about 5-10mins and I felt the baby really turn. At my 36week check it was in the right position and has been at every check up since. Its worth a try - basically you go on all fours but collapse your front arms so your bum is in the air (attractive I know!!). I know this has worked for breech babies to. I think it basically opens things up and gives baby space to get in the best position.

Really got my fingers crossed for you and your home birth.

Ika xxx

Hiya,

Sorry to hear things aren't turning out as planned.

With regards to the back to back thing, I was really uncomfortable at about 35weeks with the baby in an odd position and someone suggested I spend some time in the 'polar bear' position. I did this a couple of times, the last time for about 5-10mins and I felt the baby really turn. At my 36week check it was in the right position and has been at every check up since. Its worth a try - basically you go on all fours but collapse your front arms so your bum is in the air (attractive I know!!). I know this has worked for breech babies to. I think it basically opens things up and gives baby space to get in the best position.

Really got my fingers crossed for you and your home birth.

Ika xxx

i have been trying this :-( will be spending alot of time with my butt in the air this weekend:D

ive been trying and its not really doing anything apart from making me sore!! which is a shame :(

I'm sorry you've had such a disheartening experience with the midwife -and I'd agree that with 2cm dilation and a fully engaged head why she couldn't do a sweep I have no idea. Did she have very short fingers? ;)

Onto the positive, proactive stuff though. :) I'd echo what the others have said - positioning is likely to make the biggest difference here. If your baby is back to back then it won't be applying pressure to the cervix in the most effective way and will not be giving your body the best signs that all is ready to go. Plus you don't really want to go into a back to back labour if you can help it. Try to get baby shifted first - you'll be in for a swifter, more comfortable and efficient labour with a well positioned baby.

The spinning babies site is fantastic - I'd be trying several of the techniques on there if I were you. And don't lie on your back or lean back on the sofa at all. Only side lie, or adopt upright or forward leaning postures. Scrubbing floors is definitely something to consider. ;)

You know your stuff MM. You've still got a week to go before things get sticky with the medics and even then they can't do anything to you without consent. I know numerous women who have negotiated continuing care for their NHS home birth after 42 weeks. They've generally had to consent to quite a bit of additional monitoring, but it can be done. A doula friend recently had a client who had her NHS home birth at 43+4! Are you on the yahoo homebirth email list? That would be a great place to go to for support on this.

I'll be sending my virtual bolshy self to back you up if you do actually make it to that appointment. :) But there's still plenty of time for baby to make their appearance before then. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Gina.

2cm dilated, not very far past your due date at all and she told you your not gonna go into labour on your own?!?! That's absolutely ridiculous regardless of how posterior or high your cervix was! There's absolutely no way to predict whether or not a woman will go into labour naturally or not.... Right now there's tons and tons of women in this world who had closed cervixes this morning and will be going into labour tonight. That's just the way it is.

My first thought is that the primary reason she'd say that is so that you'd be more apt for induction sooner then later based on your past history.... even in the presence of reasuring monitoring this time around.

2cm dilated, not very far past your due date at all and she told you your not gonna go into labour on your own?!?! That's absolutely ridiculous regardless of how posterior or high your cervix was! There's absolutely no way to predict whether or not a woman will go into labour naturally or not.... Right now there's tons and tons of women in this world who had closed cervixes this morning and will be going into labour tonight. That's just the way it is.

My first thought is that the primary reason she'd say that is so that you'd be more apt for induction sooner then later based on your past history.... even in the presence of reasuring monitoring this time around.

They just want me to have an induction because its easier for them. she said that i was totally fine my blood pressure is low etc, baby sounds fine placenta sounds great then in the next breath started on about induction :/

I'm sorry you've had such a disheartening experience with the midwife -and I'd agree that with 2cm dilation and a fully engaged head why she couldn't do a sweep I have no idea. Did she have very short fingers? ;)

Onto the positive, proactive stuff though. :) I'd echo what the others have said - positioning is likely to make the biggest difference here. If your baby is back to back then it won't be applying pressure to the cervix in the most effective way and will not be giving your body the best signs that all is ready to go. Plus you don't really want to go into a back to back labour if you can help it. Try to get baby shifted first - you'll be in for a swifter, more comfortable and efficient labour with a well positioned baby.

The spinning babies site is fantastic - I'd be trying several of the techniques on there if I were you. And don't lie on your back or lean back on the sofa at all. Only side lie, or adopt upright or forward leaning postures. Scrubbing floors is definitely something to consider. ;)

You know your stuff MM. You've still got a week to go before things get sticky with the medics and even then they can't do anything to you without consent. I know numerous women who have negotiated continuing care for their NHS home birth after 42 weeks. They've generally had to consent to quite a bit of additional monitoring, but it can be done. A doula friend recently had a client who had her NHS home birth at 43+4! Are you on the yahoo homebirth email list? That would be a great place to go to for support on this.

I'll be sending my virtual bolshy self to back you up if you do actually make it to that appointment. :) But there's still plenty of time for baby to make their appearance before then. I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Gina.

I am trying the things from spinning babies, i will refuse induction unless they can prove that there is a problem with either the baby or i. i know that its because its easier for them. i knew it would go this way when i got pregnant which is why i refused consultant led care.
Not on the yahoo homebirth list...
i just have to wait it out and stay un emotional when they come for their bullying sesh!

If you're willing to try homeopathic remedies then pulsatilla would be a good one to try. More info here: https://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/turnbaby.asp You can get it in a relatively low dose (30) from boots or most health food shop type places or if you're willing to wait 24 hours for delivery you can order the more potent 200 potency from helios - https://www.helios.co.uk - they're very helpful on the phone and will send it out first class immediately. If you're ordering from them also get yourself some caulophyllum 200 - this is the homeopathic preparation of Blue Cohosh and can be really handy for getting things going of things are starting slowly, and helping them to pick up once in labour if they slow down.

Good luck!

Gina.

If you're willing to try homeopathic remedies then pulsatilla would be a good one to try. More info here: https://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/turnbaby.asp You can get it in a relatively low dose (30) from boots or most health food shop type places or if you're willing to wait 24 hours for delivery you can order the more potent 200 potency from helios - https://www.helios.co.uk - they're very helpful on the phone and will send it out first class immediately. If you're ordering from them also get yourself some caulophyllum 200 - this is the homeopathic preparation of Blue Cohosh and can be really handy for getting things going of things are starting slowly, and helping them to pick up once in labour if they slow down.

Good luck!

Gina.

i am open to anything bar hospital induction rofl!!! what do i do with it once i get it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->