Gwenllian vs Angharad

SweetWitch

Reaction score
Gwenllian, nn Gwenno (but NOT Gwen)
Angharad, nn Harri or Haz

They're both ancient Welsh names, I know they look long, weird and hard to pronounce to non-Welsh speakers, but that part won't be a problem. Then what's the problem?

Gwenllian: Nn Gwen is definitely not wanted but it'll probably get it all the time.
Angharad: Most people says it looks 'Arabic', 'Middle Eastern', 'Asian'. Does it?

I thought welsh instantly... they're not my taste but I dont talk welsh

Gwenllian = gwen-lee-an?
Angharad = Help w/ pronunciation?? Where do the nicknames come from?

I can see you having many problems with both of them, honestly. I'm sure you'd get "Gwen" a lot until you correct everyone and their brother...And Angharad looks odd, I have no idea how to pronounce it, and the associated nicknames seem out of nowhere.

I'm from the US if that makes any difference, but didn't want to R&R

Gwenllian = gwen-lee-an?

I can see you having many problems with both of them, honestly. I'm sure you'd get "Gwen" a lot until you correct everyone and their brother...And Angharad looks odd, I have no idea how to pronounce it, and the associated nicknames seem out of nowhere.

there welsh so she probably lives in the UK im guessing as I dont know how common they are elsewhere but they're pretty normal here, welsh cling on stronger to there own language than the rest of the British so are more prone to having 'odd' names (unlike this new trend of weird 'Irish' names when I never met a single Irish person with them)

I thought welsh instantly... they're not my taste but I dont talk welsh

To be honest, they're not really my taste either, but my friend, who will legally change her name, wants them.

Gwenllian = gwen-lee-an?

As she lives is Wales, spelling & pronouncing won't be a problem, and they're common names in Wales so it won't look odd. But if you wanna learn how to pronounce them:

gwen-HLEE-an (ll is a different letter in Welsh, can't really explain)
ang-HA-rad (ng is soft, like in 'sing')

In most Welsh names stress is on the second syllable, therefore Harry/Harri/Hari. Rarely it gets Ann/Annie/Angie.
:winkwink:

My mum was going to call me Angharad, dad convinced her otherwise as no Welsh roots. But my nn is Haz. I did go to college with an Angharad though. I don't think it looks Arabic, but perhaps because I know it isn't. Never heard of Gwenllian. What are the meanings behind the names? Old family names?

My mum was going to call me Angharad, dad convinced her otherwise as no Welsh roots. But my nn is Haz. I did go to college with an Angharad though. I don't think it looks Arabic, but perhaps because I know it isn't. Never heard of Gwenllian. What are the meanings behind the names? Old family names?

They're both super old names with historical connections. Gwenllian is a famous patriotic Welsh heroine, she actually fought in battles with his husband's army. She is the only known example of a medieval period woman leading a Welsh army into battle. (There is also another famous Gwenllian who was the last native Prince of Wales). Angharad is a super old name, one of the few Welsh female names that survived from such early ages. And there are many Angharads in history. In fact Gwenllian's mother was an Angharad. Owain Gwynedd had a daughter named Angharad. :thumbup:

I flipping love Angharad. My parents considered this for me and I wish they'd used it! So pretty!

Love Angharad! I think you can definately tell that they're both Welsh names x

both clearly welsh names. i think if you don't want gwen as a nn then just correct anyone who says it and gwennie etc will stick. eg people called thomas and not tom etc

I've read the wikipedia entry for "Angharad". I think this name is a good choice.

I love Angharad. It did seem Arabic to me at first, but after someone posted the pronunciation, it is pretty clear that it is not.

Ooh I like Angharad! No it doesn't look Arabic, not that that should be a problem? :wacko:

Ooh I like Angharad! No it doesn't look Arabic, not that that should be a problem? :wacko:

Maybe it would be a problem if the poster wants people to associate the name with a specific cultural heritage? That is my guess, at least :flower:

I love both, but would go for Gwenllian. Angharads are ten a penny around here. Also I don't like the nicknames for Angharad, but I like Gwenno.

Yes I'm Welsh.

I really like Gwenllian but then I am biased as my name is Gwenda but I am always called Gwen. I think Gwenllian is prettier than Gwenda as I've always felt the da was a bit harsh sounding but I am so rarely called Gwenda that it doesn't matter. I really really like having the nn Gwen (even though you don't lol) and I've hardly ever met another one! It's unusual without being weird and wherever you go people can prononce it.

I like Angharad too and my parents considered it for me but it didn't really go with our surname which began with an H. Also as I was brought up in England more people struggled to pronounce it.

Do they both go with your surname?

Maybe it would be a problem if the poster wants people to associate the name with a specific cultural heritage? That is my guess, at least :flower:

That would be a hundred percent correct guess. When your main goal is expressing your own heritage, you get a little upset when people associate it with different ones :winkwink:

I really like Gwenllian but then I am biased as my name is Gwenda but I am always called Gwen. I think Gwenllian is prettier than Gwenda as I've always felt the da was a bit harsh sounding but I am so rarely called Gwenda that it doesn't matter. I really really like having the nn Gwen (even though you don't lol) and I've hardly ever met another one! It's unusual without being weird and wherever you go people can prononce it.

I like Angharad too and my parents considered it for me but it didn't really go with our surname which began with an H. Also as I was brought up in England more people struggled to pronounce it.

Do they both go with your surname?

Ooh, I like Gwenda, I think it's pretty. Sad thing about Gwenllian is that it'll never be used outside of Wales so it'll always be Gwenno, but people in UK are already familiar with Angharad, at least is doesn't have any 'Welsh letter' in it, so you can get people to say it correctly and don't really need a nn for it.

The surname, which is not mine it's my friend's, who is 23 and will legally change her name, starts with MacG. Hey, is this the first time in this site that we're looking for an adult name instead of a newborn baby? :happydance:

Yes that is a good point about no welsh letter in Angharad. I think Angharad goes better with MacG. Or even Gwenda lol. She can steal my name! :D

Angharad, at least is doesn't have any 'Welsh letter' in it, so you can get people to say it correctly and don't really need a nn for it.

:

<ng> is a letter in the Welsh alphabet, it comes right after <g> actually and is pronounced nasally. I know a heap of non-Welsh speakers, even in Wales, who mispronounce Angharad because of it. Non-Welsh speakers tend not to notice, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->