Gym Safety?

ladybarometer

Reaction score
So I'll be entering my 2nd trimester soon, and I've been too afraid to workout. I'm definitely hungrier lately, but nothing out of control. I've not been snacking and haven't been eating sweets nearly as much as I did before my pregnancy - I just haven't had those cravings. I'm mostly craving off things like pizza lunchables and spaghettios LOL! It's weird.

Anywho... Before getting pregnant I worked out a few times a week. Usually a few miles walking and two visits in the gym for elliptical work and circuit training (I go to Planet Fitness and they have a 30 minute circuit). Are there any gym workouts that I should completely avoid as far as machines go? And should I restrict weights (I don't lift anything heavy in the gym unless it's on a leg press)

I see some people say it's all dangerous, and then I see some pregnant women doing ALOT more than what I've ever done in the gym with success. It's all very confusing.

As long as your health care provider hasn't given you reasons to avoid particular exercises, the only things you should avoid are exercises that require a lot of joint stability and balance (standing on balance balls, quick side lunging jumps etc) or would result in abdominal impact (ei kickboxing). Abdominal crunches on a flat floor can be hard on the pregnant body, but that might depend on how you are carrying.

Watch out for machines that cause too much compression on your abdomen or require you to put weight on it. More for a discomfort reason.

Don't believe the 'no squat' rule. Squats are great for building leg strength that is invaluable for labor and won't cause pre-mature labor. I squatted all throughout my pregnancy and laughed when someone suggested it to me at 41 weeks to induce labor. There are a lot of exercise old wives tales.

With weights start slowly. Again the pregnancy hormones can cause joint instability and hyper-flexibility. So it can be easier to tweak something if you overload and move incorrectly.

Listen to your body for what feels good and what doesn't. Stay hydrated and exercise on!

During my first pregnancy, I ran up to 28 weeks (too much pressure on my bladder at that point) and did kettlebell routines with up to 20 lbs first and second trimester. I continued to hike until delivery at almost 42 weeks. Every body is different. Some women run marathons in the third trimester (not recommended unless you are regularly training). It all depends on your comfort, fitness and pregnancy.

This pregnancy I haven't had the energy to do anything more than walking the dog. Time to get back into working out before I get huge and so out of shape that I can't keep up with my toddler.

I had about 2.5 months off from working out, and have slowly gotten back into it last 2-3 weeks.
Some days, in fact most days I really lack the motivation, but I love it once it gets done.

I do weights, and I take many rests between sets, and so a 40 minute work out lasts so much longer!
The weights I lift, well, i went right back to lighter weights, and slowly increasing them too.

I feel like it's mainly about being sensible, and watching how you are feeling. If you are feeling feint, dizzy, etc, you know you have got to take it easier, and if you feel absolutely fine, you know you can take it up a notch.

Oh yeah I am squatting too, although I am really not having fun with it! but will persevere as it's awesome for your lower body and for strength during labour.

I've not been motivated, but I assume it's due the break I've taken out of fear. I'm going to double check with my doc on Friday during my visit and go from there. Working out has always cheered me up and helped with sleep - I definitely need help with both of those things right now. Plus I hear building strength in the lower body can help with giving birth :)

I've been a regular gym go-er for years - I stopped once I got pregnant because I was horrendously sick (all day all night, even medicated). I went once at 6 weeks, which was awful. And started back slowly at 10 weeks, when I was still sick. I'm now just over 20 weeks and I can just about say I feel better sickness-wise! But working out is starting to suck a bit (I have severe scoliosis which complicates everything). ANYWAYS, I have not changed my workouts at all (20 mins light cardio, then an hour of weights, then 20 mins of stretching, 3 days a week - we break up the muscle groups into the three days) - other than stopping abs. I did them for a while initially when I went back, then stopped.

There's really no reason to stop doing what you normally do. In the beginning my body felt painful, like my uterus was going to drop out, etc. haha but once it adjusted and my temperature/blood pressure stabilized, working out was ok. Just wait until you feel better physically then slowly go back to what you were doing - you should be just fine :) Take water with you and candies.

Nikko said nearly everything I was going to say :) The only things I can add is be aware you'll get hot faster than you're used to so don't let yourself get too warm. Also, I found I needed to drink a lot more water than I usually did. I worked out regularly until the 2nd trimester started, then I took a bit of a break from the gym because the weather got nice. I'm 25 weeks now and went back to the gym yesterday. What I noticed most was that things were a bit harder than I'm used to so I just took it easy and there was a lot of stuff I used to do that I avoided because it seemed like it would be uncomfortable with the bump in the way. But as long as you don't strain your joints, keep good posture, and don't lift anything so heavy that you have to hold your breath, you and baby will be fine! I like to use the weight machines instead of the free weights because I don't trust myself to keep good form otherwise, but that's more of a personal thing. My trainer suggested a good guideline was to only exert at 80% of your max, which seems to be working for me.

I love connecting with other women who are staying active during pregnancy. It always inspires me to keep going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->