Gym/weight training and exhaustion.

Orchid83

42 WEEKS!!!
Reaction score
I was a frequent gym goer before falling pregnant, weight training 3 times a week.

Since falling pregnant I've not slowed down the frequency, just adjusted a few excercises (i.e more appropriate abdominal workout, and no heavy arm extentions above my head). And I rest for longer between reps to make sure I regulate my body temperature.

All is well, and apart from some normal dizzyness, which is easily corrected by eating a bit more before my workout, I still get a good workout.

But, afterwards I end up suuuuper fatigued, to the point of wanting to fall asleep for an hour. It passes in an hour or two, but want to know if there is any way to prevent/alleviate this?

I am an avid weight trainer and bodybuilder, I have been for many years.

Truthfully, my advice is to perhaps lay off the gym for the first trimester when you are experiencing the fatigue & dizzyness. Looking back, I shouldn't have kept going, because my body was using soooo much energy to build the baby!

When you hit 12-14 weeks, I promise this feeling will pass and you will be in the second trimester honeymoon stage (you will feel super energized to workout).

If you insist on continuing in the first trimester, my recommendation is to really up the carb intake. How many calories are you eating? I (was) 5'5 and 121lbs, I started my calories at a minimum of 2,200 - you really need them when you combine weight training and first trimester sicknesses!

Wow, didn't realise I needed that many calories! I am probably taking in about 1500 on a good day (appetite has diminished), although I take a good pregnancy multivitamin and folic acid. I weigh 147lbs, at 5'6.

I don't want to stop all-together, but maybe I'll just lighten all my weights and do more of a 'maintenance' workout, so I don't lose muscle. I'm not a bodybuilder, just like the gym, but I would like to get more intense once the baby arrives, so I can get my body more where I want it. Definitely don't want to do any damage.

What's your opinion on taking a whey protein supplement while pregnant? I find it hard to eat enough protein otherwise.

Wow hun, no wonder you are dizzy! 1600 would be "fat loss" for you! First tri doesn't really matter though - a lot of women can't keep food down - just make sure to bump up those calories once you are over the sickness. You will lose muscle at 1500 calories or below though, keep that in mind. 2000 calories is really just maintaining for someone your size (without the baby). You don't need extra cals in the first tri really, not till 2nd & 3rd.

Whey protein? I've got a BSN lean dessert protein shake at my desk right now, so I'd say you are good to go :) :thumbup:

Awesome!

Whey protein here I come, goodbye silly dizzy spells! :)

Yeah I had to stop going to the gym because I feel too rotten. My midwife said that it's fine to start up again once I feel up to it as I was going before conception. Also I'm really struggling to eat healthy (and can barely stomach protein, I have to sneak whey into my food) so don't want to stress myself.

During my first pregnancy I had a trainer and she warned me to avoid certain exercises as you can stretch out ligaments during pregnancy due to the hormones (relaxin I think), and they never get back to normal if over-extended during pregnancy. I'd advise checking with a trainer to make sure all your exercises are still appropriate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->