Had LO 7 wks early and new to Preemie! - Help

Macmad

Happy mum of 2!
Reaction score
Hi ladies

I ended up having my little girl 7 weeks early due to pre-elcampsia last Thursday. She is doing well in NICU, breathing on her own and feeding from a bottle. She is slowly gaining weight and at the moment has no other medical issues.

I myself, am recovering from a c section back at home. I'm on medicine for BP, strong pain killers and anti-botics. Now the anti-botics are giving me the runs (Sorry TMI) and im getting terrible stomach cramps from them. The hospital are pressurising me big time to express feed Millie. Now I know that breast is best and all of that but I was never keen on BF anyway. I don't think that I should be giving her my milk if I am on all these meds and especially if they make me ill.

Anyone got any advice or were in a similar situation?

As you can imagine I am totally lost in the preemie world and I just know what to except from day to day.
:hugs:

Congrats hun, it's your choice at the end of the day but the 1st few days of breast milk is the good stuff thats why they like you to express plus they are less likely to develop allergies as well. I would express your concerns to the docs about the medication xx

I didnt intend to bf either but i expressed for 15 weeks in the end. you'd be surprised how easy you take to it?

i would say" its up to you to anyone," but even if u expressed for a week, while you have the chance, id say go for it, its far more important for a preemie to get breast milk if only for a few days.. It will help their bowels move easier too, thats vital.

You can discuss the meds with the NICU.

Congratulations on your LO.

I would agree with the others that breastmilk is by far the best option particularly for preemies, even if you could manage it for a few days. I wasn't convinced I'd do it, but ended up expressing for 10 weeks then going on to bf. You might surprise yourself.

Do speak to someone re the medication - I was on Labetalol and Nifedapine for my blood pressure, and tramadol, dihydrocodeine and paracetamol for the c section pain and they said it was still ok to express for Sophie. xxxxx

Congrats hun:flower:

That first few days/weeks of breastmilk are so good for preemies, I'm sure the NICU wouldn't pressure you if it wasn't safe on your meds:hugs: It's very tough, I'm just now beginning to exclusively bf my 32 weeker ( she's 3 weeks 4 days now) So I know how hard it is. I also did the pumping for my 20m old dd who was born at 33 weeks after a c-section :hugs:

Congratulations on the birth of your baby. My LO was born at 28.6 weeks, and I hand expressed the entire time (60 days) he was in the NICU, then began breastfeeding when he came home.

It's up to you, but the NICU staff made it clear to the mommy's there that breast milk does wonders for preemies.

well... congrats!

I know how is hard... I had a 6 weeks earlier and had to pump too...

was hard but i dont regret it, breastmilk is really a miracle for a premie baby, I know is hard hunn

but is worth it, just give it a try I had pre e too in my first, took a LOT of meds, but I am sure that breast milk helped him a LOT

i managed to express for samantha for a few weeks and then my milk supply started to dry up even though i was doing it like they told me 2 and she wasn`t gaining on it anyway. so in the end she went on formula and is loving it :D But she still had the first few weeks of it so it still benefited her.

Congratulations!

The meds you are on will do no harm to your LO. I was on antibiotics and pain meds for a good long while after my C-section and she thrived on my milk.

If you don't want to do it, that's fair enough but the meds shouldn't stop you.

I would say though, not only does it provide a good start, even for a few weeks for preemie babies, it will also give you something to focus on, some way you can feel helpful in what is a farily helpless experience. For me it was the closest I could feel to being a proper mum.

congratulations on the birth of your little one! And welcome to the `grand adventure`that is having a preemie ;) The ladies here are fantastic, please don`t hesitate to ask anything.

The reason the medical staff strongly encourages preemie moms to breastfeed is simple - babies only develop their own immune system towards the end of the pregnancy. So preemies are much more vulnerable to infections etc. breastfeeding is the best way to build it up - get some of those antibodies directly from mom :happydance:

Thanks for replying ladies.

Millie is now out of NICU and home with us. I have tried giving her my breast but she isn't interested. I'm still trying to express but with not much success. She is on special preemie formula and doing really well on it.

Not sure for how much longer I will keep trying to express as I am not getting anywhere near enough milk for her.

xx

Millie is now out of NICU and home with us. I have tried giving her my breast but she isn't interested. I'm still trying to express but with not much success. She is on special preemie formula and doing really well on it.

Not sure for how much longer I will keep trying to express as I am not getting anywhere near enough milk for her.

xx

That's great news.

Well done for getting this far with expressing. Every little bit helps and even if you are giving a half feed with formula top up that's still a benefit. They say 6 weeks great milk for a full term baby is a great start. Maybe consider keeping going til she's 6 weeks corrected. That will also help your body with the process of stopping, let it dwindle and you 'll have fewer problems with engorgement or risk of mastitis etc.

xx

have you tried getting perscription for dom peridome it helps to produce more breast milk that is if you still want to give LO bm, i had to go on this med when my prem decided to wean himself off the breast, its help me to still get enough bm so he can remain exclusively on bm

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->