Had my glucose tolerance test this morning

L

LilMiss_91

Just thought I'd give a quick rundown for anyone yet to have it :).

It wasn't as bad as I thought! Not the nicest experience to wake up starving hungry at half past 6 and not be able to eat but drinking water helped :).
Had my first lot of blood taken at 9am, no problems finding a vein which was a huge relief! By 9.10am I'd drunk the Lucozade (not sure why they tell you to take so much as I only had to have about 500ml). It tasted foul, but for anyone that likes cheap lemonade/Irn Bru (sp?) it would be fine! :haha:
After that I was sent back out to wait for an hour. Thankfully had my mum with me to talk to and pass the time a bit quicker! The first hour went pretty quickly, had my next blood drawn at 10am, again no problem getting a vein. The nurse also took the opportunity to take some other bloods that the midwife had asked for to spare me getting stabbed again which was kind of her!
Back into the waiting room for another hour, and I tell you, that hour draaagged. They had arranged it so I had my midwife appt at 10.20am but the midwife was running over time and I didn't actually see the midwife until after I'd had my final lot blood taken at 11.20am.
Everything was fine, bubs has had a growth spurt since my last appt and I'm only measuring 1cm under average now :D
Had my whooping cough vaccine and that stung! Felt like a splinter stuck in my arm for the first couple of hours after.

And that was my lovely GTT experience :haha:

I had mine on friday,I didnt have a test after an hour, just the one 2 hours after the drink. It was the waiting around that got me, I just could not sit still coz I couldnt get comfy. The bloodtests and drink itself werent too bad, the one I had to drink was like a flat peachy drink, very sweet. Wish I could have had lucozade lol :)

I've heard they have 2 different tests they do? I guess I was just lucky :haha:
That drink doesn't sound too nice though! Although the fizziness of he Lucozade made it feel like I'd drunk twice as much as I actually had!

thanks for this post! i have mine in a couple of weeks. not looking forward to the 2 hour wait! :(

You're welcome :)

It's not so bad really. Especially if you have someone to chat to or maybe take a book :)

Thank you so much for the heads up! I've got mine in a couple of weeks and I'm not really looking forward to it, even tho the doctor said I didn't have to fast for it beforehand and it's only the 1 hour test.

thanx for that :) have mine in the morning and not looking forward to it!!

Thank you so much for the heads up! I've got mine in a couple of weeks and I'm not really looking forward to it, even tho the doctor said I didn't have to fast for it beforehand and it's only the 1 hour test.

thanx for that :) have mine in the morning and not looking forward to it!!

It's really not too bad :) I was really dreading it but I was pleasantly surprised :)

I hope it goes well for both of you ladies :) I'm sure it will! xx

Thanks!! Just a little anxiety over it after one of my friends told me about her experience where she nearly passed out when she stood up after drinking the stuff - had to call her OH to come and get her because she couldn't drive. Trying not to panic but I can't help it

Thanks!! Just a little anxiety over it after one of my friends told me about her experience where she nearly passed out when she stood up after drinking the stuff - had to call her OH to come and get her because she couldn't drive. Trying not to panic but I can't help it

Oh no! That must have been horrible for her :(
I'm sure it will be fine for you though. Make sure you have some water so you're not dehydrated. I did have a couple of palpitations but that was partly because I was a bit worked up about potentiallu being sick and having to start again (morning sickness has only just subsided) and it was quite warm in the surgery. :hugs: I'm sure you be absolutely fine :) just take things slowly and don't get up till you're ready! :) xx

I had mine this morning, I didn't suffer hunger or thirst but the lucozade was absolutely disgusting - I have never had it before and I now know why!!!!! I took some stuff with me so kept myself busy for the 2 hours - the 48hr wait is the worst part for me. Just waiting to find out if I've failed or not :-(

I had mine this morning, I didn't suffer hunger or thirst but the lucozade was absolutely disgusting - I have never had it before and I now know why!!!!! I took some stuff with me so kept myself busy for the 2 hours - the 48hr wait is the worst part for me. Just waiting to find out if I've failed or not :-(

Haha yeah it is pretty horrible! I can't say it's something I'm ever gonna willingly touch again!
Is it only 48hrs? I thought I'd find out the results at my next appointment with the midwife x

The test its self wasnt too bad, I just hated sitting for 2 hours in a hospital waiting room in an uncomfortable chair.

They told me they would be in touch if anything was wrong but if I hadnt heard, to check with my MW at next appointment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->