Hair loss in early pregnancy?

gigglebox

My husband only makes y sperm
Reaction score
A quick google search shows this can be a symptom but it's not a typical one...but I am losing hair by the fist fulls!!! This just started about a week ago--I am only 5 weeks. It's comparable to my postpartum hair loss with DS2 (i developed near bald spots around my temples--thank goodness it all grew back!).

Anyway wondering if anyone has/is experiencing this too.

Also wondering if anyone knows how to help it slow down! I haven't experienced this in my other pregnancies.

Yep. This happened in my first two pregnancies, and everyone I asked about it looked at me like I was crazy. It stopped by the end of first tri (I think around 9 weeks, actually), and then I barely shed any for the entire rest of the pregnancies. I haven't noticed it as dramatically this time around, but I'm also wearing my hair much shorter these days so it could just be less noticeable.

Last pregnancy and this one my hair has been falling out and generally slows shedding during second trimester.

Thanks y'all this makes me feel better.
Did you fogure out any way to stop it? I saw a suggestion online to take calcium. Might try it since it can't hurt! Also I've just been taking a mutli vitamin but I'm going to switch to a prenatal.

Mine just stopped I assume because of my hormones. I think your hair grows in 6 weeks cycles (I'm not sure but I heard that years ago lol). I've been taking a prenatal too, though, and haven't noticed a change in it yet.

I didn't lose hair in pregnancy but it fell out soooo bad after I had the babies and it freaked me out. I started taking biotin along with continuing to take the prenatals and it helped. I would ask your doctor before taking it during pregnancy though. I know my doctor said it was safe for breastfeeding and most prenatals have it in them so it seems like it would be ok, but it's always better to be safe. :)

Just updating in case people come across this later! My NP was totally unconcerned by the loss. Per basically everything I've read of people's personal accounts, the hair loss stops about 12 weeks. Well, that was true for me too, thank god! My hair is definitely thinner by a ton but the loss has all but stopped. Now here's to hoping it doesn't all fall out again postpartum like last time!

I've had this with both previous pregnancies and I can reassure you that it does grow back. Both times mine started to grow back about 4 months after giving birth. It took about a year to catch up with my shoulder length hair...and now I'm pregnant again :dohh: it's falling out again. I actually didn't realise how much had come out until it grew back. There was a video on fb that was doing the rounds showing a hairdresser 'stripping' out the post part hairloss from a woman and saying how satisfying it was to do. Again, she reassured that it's not true hairloss and that it's due to hormones and always grows back.

Yeah, mine is still shedding like it usually does, too, it's crazy. I remember how it comes out after PP and I had like all this hair 6 months pp that was an inch or so long because it was regrowth haha.

Mine is shedding so much right now! I've had three pregnancies before and it's never done this, only 2-3 months postpartum. I hope it stops soon or I'm not going to have any hair left to lose during the post partum period!

Yes, this is normal. All women lose their hair during early pregnancy. Still, your body will have to recover by about 5-6 months

In fact, this is a fairly common problem, both during and after pregnancy. My sister experienced severe hair loss around the eighth month of her pregnancy. She decided to turn to a trichologist, and he advised her to buy Oribe Gold Lust Shampoo and take a vitamin course. All in all, it helped her, and her hair began to look much better. But the problem completely disappeared only after the recovery after childbirth. So I recommend being patient and waiting.

Last edited:
Agree. My hair was everywhere. I thought I'd be bald soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->