Hardly any progress on cytotec after 24 hours?

florida_gal

Reaction score
I found out yesterday I lost my baby at about 6 weeks. I would be about 8 1/2 weeks now. Last night I started cytotec at 8 pm. I took 2 200 mcg tablets vaginally every four hours for a total of 4 doses. I started bleeding around 4:00 am this morning and passed one lemon-sized clot around 7:30 am. Since then I've been bleeding just like an average period, not very heavy. I have not had anything worse than a slight twinge of a cramp throughout this process.

My doctor said to wait and see if anything happens between now and when I see her for an ultrasound on Friday.

Is there any chance the cytotec will kick in at this point? I was hopeful when I passed the clot it would start and be over with soon, but now I'm giving up hope. Has anyone else had the cytotec work after a 24 hour period? Also, if nothing happens will I have the option to wait for a natural m/c or is there a risk of infection now that I'm partially dilated?

Thanks ladies.

I took cytotec and only started passing real tissue 6 days later. I thought I was done and the process had been almost too easy... but then the real miscarriage started happening and I started cramping and passing clots and tissue almost every hour. What I'm learning is that every one's experience is really different. Some take it and pass everything within 3 days and some it takes a week or more. Best of luck and i'm very sorry for your loss.

Thank you. I hope that is the case! The sitting around waiting is hard. I'm afraid to leave the house in case it happens when I'm out, but my son has been cooped up in the house for going on three days. *sigh*

Strangely enough, its ok to leave the house. I worked from home for one week (last week), but needed to return to work on Monday. I work at an office building and sit at a computer all day. Yesterday I had to go to the bathroom almost every hour because I could tell when I needed to pass a clot or tissue - sorry I know that's TMI, but I survived. The cramping is not bad. I'm at work again right now and still hanging in there. I don't think my fellow co-workers suspect anything.

Aww, I didn't realize your loss was so recent. I'm so sorry for you. :(

The only big clot I've lost so far just fell out without me knowing anything so that had me worried. But at this rate I'd rather have it happen anywhere than not at all. Maybe if I make a point to leave the house that will tempt fate enough to get this process going!

Hey. i havent started mine yet but my doc told me to do one dose and if 48 hrs pass and its not progressing to take another dose. each dose is 800. She said ideally everyrhing woll pass in 48 hrs but for lots of women it takes a week or more. i asked her how much blood is not enough... how do i knw to take the second dose. sje said. anything less than my normal period...

all i know is i am confused. i am going to take it fridayevening and hope i pass things over the weekend.. i havent told anyone at work... and i have been off a lot lately with a sick 1 ur old..

good luck keep us posted!

Kim

Sorry for your little one, I hope your experience with the medicine at least goes well.

It seems like most people are told to take 800 mcg to get things started. I wonder if taking only 400 mcg at each dose made a difference for me? Who knows. I'm still bleeding and passing very small clots every now and then. I did bleed quite a bit at first but it didn't last as long as other people I've read about and I certainly wasn't soaking a pad an hour.

I go in tomorrow morning for my ultrasound and I'll post to update if I retained anything or not.

Just to update in case anyone else is in the same boat as me and curious...

I passed the sac tonight at almost 72 hours after I started the cytotec. I had very mild cramping from the early afternoon but nothing major and the bleeding was still very light. I had no warning whatsoever, I was just going to the bathroom and noticed I had filled my pad quicker than usual. Then after I used the bathroom I looked down to check for clots and I noticed something hanging (gross, sorry). I got some toilet paper to see what it was and it was definitely the sac. I didn't even feel it coming out.

Hopefully that will be the end of it and I won't need a D&C.

Thanks for your update Florida gal. I'm going through same thing. Last night at 3am I had a lot of bleeding and clots. Today my pad is filling like a normal period. I am wondering if last night was the worst of it or if there is more to come. I still am having bad cramping.

I hope all goes well for you and that you don't need a d&c.

thanks for the update florida, I will be taking my pills this evening after my 1 yr old goes to sleep...

will you be having an ultrasound to confirm? My doc told me to go for an ultrasound 3 - 4 days after the bleeding stops..

I just got back from my ultrasound and found out that I did pass everything, thank goodness. My dr said there's still some lining that will pass as blood and small clots but I guess that's normal. She had to remove a little bit of tissue that was stuck in my cervix and that was uncomfortable but not too bad.

I wish you ladies the best of luck. I know for me this drawn out experience was mentally frustrating, but I guess I should be glad it wasn't painful. It helped to post here and have the support of you all, so thank you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->