• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Harrison?

Zephram

Reaction score
Baby number 3 is another boy and the front runner for his name is currently Harrison. OH is pretty much sold on it and DS1 likes the name, but I'm only about 75% there. With my first two boys I was 100% on their names as soon as we thought of it, but this time I'm just not quite there and I don't really know why!

What are your thoughts on the name Harrison? If you don't like it can you think of anything similar we could use instead?

I think one of the reasons why I am not sold is that I don't like the idea of him being called Harry. I don't mind the name Harry, but I would never choose it as a name to call my son and I just know people will shorten Harrison to Harry. Argh!

I love the name. I know one guy named Harrison and he is a great one. He always goes by Harrison, it never occured to me that Harry would be a nickname.

That's good to know!

Now that you mention it, I've never heard of anyone calling Harrison Ford Harry either, so maybe it won't be an issue?

I was going to say I like that it’s a longer option/more formal name that you can shorten to Harry which is cute... but after reading the full post I guess that’s not a positive like I thought it was. :haha:

I think as long as you’re clear that you’d like him to be called his full name then you’ll be fine for a while. My LO is Abigail and people often ask if she prefers Abby, but not many people jump straight to calling her that without asking first. So if we didn’t want her called Abby it would be easy enough to just say “no we prefer Abigail.”

That said, there’s always the possibility that when he gets older he himself may prefer being called Harry and request that you/other people call him that. I think that’s a chance you take with easily nickname-able longer names. So personally I’d always choose a name where I liked the common nickname options.

I really like Harrison. I have 2 friends with a Harrison- one gets shortened to Harry but the other one doesnt.

The other similar name that popped into my head is Addison which i absolutely love!

I love the name Harrison....
So much so that it's my sons name lol.

He has so many nicknames...

Haribo, BoBo, Hazard (which fits him well because he is a lunatic lol)

I love Harrison! It would probably be a front runner for us, but my husband has always been a big Harrison Ford fan and he doesn't want people thinking we chose a name for that reason.

When he is little you can pretty much control whether people say Harrison or shorten it. That might change when he gets older. I know DH's parents prefer the longer version of his name, but when I met him I told him on day one I would call him by the shortened version and that was that (I was a bit of a brat at age 15 I guess). Anyway, now even his parents call him by the shortened version. He blames me:haha:

I love the name Harrison, it was on my list for this baby but OH wasn't as keen.

I felt the same with this baby's name as you do though, with all my girls I was so sure and this one has taken a little time but now I'm set on it.

Harrison is cute!! :)

You just tell people his name is Harrison - it's not shortened. People assume because we have a Christopher and an Alexander that we call them Chris and Alex. Nope. Other than the fact I HATE the shortened version, that is not their name. Also gives your son a choice for himself when he's older which is why we don't shorten the kids names. :)

My eldest is called harrison. Never shorted it to Harry and neither has anyone else. Love love love it

I wouldn't think to shorten Harrison to Harry. I guess you could also consider Harris?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->