Has anybody actually experienced a "natural c section"

clarel976

mum of 2 and PAL
Reaction score
Hi all
I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of the "natural c section" (video on here somewhere) or know anyone that has. I spoke to my mw today who told me that if theres no complications she doesn't see why i could have it done like that but to speak to my consultant when i see him in 5 weeks. Has anyone else spoken to consulatant about the possibility yet?
Cheers Clare x x

Marley has spoken to her consultant about this! She's on here somewhere :)

Thats great thanks:thumbup:
Do you know how i can search for her (duh!!!!) or i can wait to see if she gets in touch

Im so going to ask for this. Have my first midwife next week so am going to bring it up then so she has a chance to resarch herslf etc if she is unfammiliar with it

I'll be asking for one. In the video, the midwife and OB said there is no reason that c-sections should not be done like this. I say the exception should be when the mother and/or baby's lives are in danger.

I'll be asking for one. In the video, the midwife and OB said there is no reason that c-sections should not be done like this. I say the exception should be when the mother and/or baby's lives are in danger.
Thats what my midife said. As long as everything is going to plan and so far mine and babies health is great then there should be no reason not to do it x x

I'm not able to watch the video. What is a "natural c-section"?

A natural c-section is more woman centered. It's still major surgery, but the mother gets to see the baby slowly come out and she gets immediate skin to skin. All the baby checks can be done by the midwife and the monitors for heart rate of the mother can go on her back and still give accurate readings. The dad gets to symbolically cut the umbilical cord (they leave it a little longer). Basically, baby never leaves mom except to get weighed and measured and when mom is transferred to her recovery bed, and then the baby goes to dad to be held.

It's not for emergencies, like where there is an immediate danger to mother and/or baby, but it can be for elective c-sections and failure to progress c-sections :flower:

A natural c-section is more woman centered. It's still major surgery, but the mother gets to see the baby slowly come out and she gets immediate skin to skin. All the baby checks can be done by the midwife and the monitors for heart rate of the mother can go on her back and still give accurate readings. The dad gets to symbolically cut the umbilical cord (they leave it a little longer). Basically, baby never leaves mom except to get weighed and measured and when mom is transferred to her recovery bed, and then the baby goes to dad to be held.

It's not for emergencies, like where there is an immediate danger to mother and/or baby, but it can be for elective c-sections and failure to progress c-sections :flower:

Is it just me that can't see much difference between this and an average c section? Only thing I can see is that you hold your baby while being stitched up? Is that right?

You get skin to skin and your baby isn't taken away to meet you in recovery.

You get skin to skin and your baby isn't taken away to meet you in recovery.

Ok thanks. After they stitched me up in surgery, baby was placed under my arm and we were wheeled into recovery room together, then placed straight on my boob. Does that not happen with most women then?

Apart from seeing her be born, this is exactly the sort of section I had. It was perfect, she never left me apart from a quick cuddle with Dad. It was straight skin to skin, dad cutting the cord etc. And mine WAS an emergency section.

My Emergency C/S was like that except after being weighed my MW took him to meet my mother quickly and brought him back. I had him with me the when we went to recovery.

Yeah mine was emergency too, I can't imagine why they would take babY away to meet you in recovery room? I'm having a planned section this time so il be sure to ask these questions when I see my consultant x

I remember being wheeled into recovery where my mum was waiting and I asked if she wanted to meet her grandson, she asked where he was as she couldn't see him snuggled into me . Swoon

There are a couple of other differences as well, mainly dropping the screen, they deliver the head and then leave the baby for a bit (as with a natural delivery) for the mother's muscles to push the baby out, there is delayed cord clamping, immediate skin to skin and newborn checks are all carried out while baby is on your chest.

Thanks for explaining ladies - I will talk this through with my consultant - as I definitely want skin to skin contact immediately!
(don't think I want the screen down though - especially as that would mean that Mr Urch was a big puddle on the floor somewhere :lmao: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->