Has anyone been told its bad to give them 8oz bottles?!

steph1505

Reaction score
Hi :wave:

Was wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me?!

Me and my SIL had babies 3 weeks apart and have different HVs. Her HV has told her that the absolute maximum amount of milk a baby can have is 7oz in each bottle because apparently their kidneys cant handle it...

Brandon is currently draining every single bottle he has (I give him 7oz bottles) and I was going to put him up to 8oz. I dont feel he is ready to wean yet as he still sleeps through the night but it just seems that now he is hungrier during the day and wont go 4 hours anymore like he used to.

Has anyone elses HV told them not go give LO 8oz in a bottle?! I honestly dont understand why it would be bad for them?!

Brandon is 18 weeks old btw :D

xxxxxxxxx

We were on 8oz bottles by about 3 months and the HVs know and have never said not to do it. We are now on mainly 9oz bottles and they still seem fine with it.My SIL was also told 7oz was the maximum, however - they finished up weaning very early.

No, this is clearly not true. It's salt that their kidneys can't handle in large amounts, which full fat cow's milk contains more of than formula, so maybe large amounts of cow's milk (when you're giving it from 12m) are not great. I don't know about that though. But 8 or 9oz of formula is clearly fine to give, or we would all be told otherwise. Better that than weaning early.

Yeah i cant see why a 8oz bottle would be bad for them - especially as the bottles can hold 9oz of formula so if it was bad they would only make bottles that held 7oz. My 2nd son would regularyl polish off 9oz bottles as he was a very hungry boy and he is perfectly fine. As someone else said better giving them more milk than having to wean too early. I find it best not to listen to the HV's and nurses etc as they all give conflicting advice (which by the way is just what it is - advice - they are not their to force you to follow what they say. Im on my 3rd baby and from what i hear from my HV about what to do and not to do im not sure how my last 2 survived coz the advice is totally different now (and that was only 4 & 8 years ago). I just do what i feel is best for my own baby.

Nope, never heard this before.

Violet's been having 8oz bottles for a few months and she's fine. She's also had issues with her kindeys (from birth) and not once did her pediatrician ask how much she's having at one given time, and I would have thought that if there was a genuine connection, he'd be the first to ask!!

Adam's just started on 8oz bottles, he was on 7oz for ages, then started draining them, so I bumped them up. I'd feed him less more often only he doesn't ask! He's been eating 4x a day since the first few weeks, and he's in a predictable 4-hour routine of eat-activity-sleep, I have no idea how I'd be able to work another feed in. I hope it's ok, last time I saw the HV she asked what his feeds were and I said 4x 7oz and she was fine with that... will check on Weds.

But I also think, surely they wouodn't make bottles that hold 9oz if it wasn't ok? But the side of the Aptamil box says 7oz is the max... but then again the formula powder holders hold 8 scoops... eeesh.

Better that than weaning early.

Thats what I thought too! I really dont think he is ready to be weaned at all and I just feel that 8oz would be beneficial to him! I tried to get a hold of my HV but there was no answer! I dont trust my SIL's HV at all as she basically tells her what she wants to hear, and as my SILhas decided she is weaning her son at 17 weeks wether he wants it or not, I do wonder if her HV just told her that!

Aaah! I dont know what to do!!! x x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->