Has anyone used or seen the icandy pear (double pram)?

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
:confused:

https://www.icandyuk.com/products_detail.php?id=pear_stroller

Curious on your thoughts although I don't think there is anyone who has as Ive seen nobody mention them :(

Hmm im not too sure , i think i might of seen it going around town but didnt take too much notice :shrug:

I think its looks lovely but hope someone can tell you if its any good or not :)

Ive seen a copule round the town just lately and I think they look pretty cool. I'd rather this than a Phil & Teds.

x

I have to go to Wrexham to view one as they have one on display - thought they would as its where I got my icandy from so Ill defo go and see in the future just can't be bothered busing it there :lol: Prob go when I know alls ok with bubs and get to 2nd tri then although won't buy the pip (the apple pear converter) or a diff one til near the end.

Hi
I've got the icandy pear which I love. Couldn't stand the thought of buying a side by side for my twins. For tandems this was best on market I thought (as not in car seats ie jane powertwin).
Its easily foldable, reasonably light, looks nice and you can have them both facing you.
The downsides are that when both carrycots are on you struggle to see the second baby whilst walking (unless you're tall - or don't have twins ie 6month+ baby then I guess you can see), also when carrycots are on it's hard to access the storage compartment underneath (but still useable). Also if you're planning on buying the maxi cosi car seats I think they have to be facing away, or one of them if, can't remember now, only done it once.
If you have any specific things you want to know just ask. I'll try and fill you in as best I can.

Karen

Hi Karen

You'd be the first person on here with the pear - Thanks for answering. :happydance:

I have a 8 month old now and pregnant again all being well I will have a 14/15 month old and newborn so its not going to be used with the same size seats as you would with tiwn - Do you have any idea how that would work as far as seeing both children and not restricting the others by any chance - poss not since your LOs are twins. How old are they?

:D

Plenty of time to get one Jazzy lol!

Ohhh I like! Might have another one just so I can buy it hahaha. It's really nice!

We have a few round town and personally I think they are rather nice, the baby at the back isn't as low as on a P&T and has a better view. They seem quite east to manoeuvre (managed to get into the little White Stuff store in town) I think to buy from scratch they are pretty expensive .. but if you already have an apple ..................

£250 to convert but the extra to make the carrycot (its not a full carrycot) is more ££ again.

Defo going to take a peek when I have the time to go see after my 20 weeks scan :D

Just thought I'd add to this thread.

I've had the Pear for 3 months now. It has been a really good buy. Of course there are drawbacks but I'll give a summary for those thinking about it.

For those not familiar with the intricacies of the Pear I'll say that if you have the pushchair infront of you, you put the Pear PIP converter into the slots where the Apple seat normally goes which then gives you sockets to put a lower and an upper seat into. The PIP converter is shaped like this '¬ or ,-'. So, It can go in either way - you either have the upper position close to you or further away from you. The unfortunate thing being that if the upper position is close to you then both seats are forced to face you (by grooves in the slots) - so the lower child is obscured from your view by the upper closer child. If you have it so that the upper position is furthest from you then both seats must face away from you. The lower child is closest to you but facing forwards. OK?

I really went for it because I wanted my youngest to get the benefit of the rearward facing/close to parent eye contact that my eldest had got (Had the Bugaboo for him) and to allow my eldest to continue to face direction of travel. I didn't fancy the Phil and Ted at all when I fell pregnant for the 2nd time - that seemed to be the only tandem on offer in my local nursery shop. I got really excited when I saw the Pear orientation where the two children are facing each other, so went to see one for myself to see how it worked. Strangely enough the shop said it couldn't happen (facing each other) so I left very despondent.

However, I looked back into it and saw that it could. With the car seat in the upper position, facing the parent and the other seat in the lower position facing the car seat and facing away then it does work. This is because the converters for the car seat allow you to break the rule that the seat has to face away from you if the upper position is furthest from you. These converters (same car seat adaptors as are used for the Apple alone) do not have grooves in them so can be faced forward or backwards.

This is how I always have it arranged at the mo. So, I can see youngest and eldest is happy peeking round the side to see where he's going. Admittedly he is looking directly at the car seat but he can look to the side and he really doesn't complain about it. What this has meant (if you look at specifics of the pram) is that my eldest is in the slightly smaller seat - it's 2 cm shorter and a wee bit narrower and although he's not short for his age he manages to fit in so I wouldn't consider this a problem. He often sleeps in there and you can recline the seat - so it does the job. I think you can get a different hood if you think the seat is too short (yet more money!) but we seem to mangage OK at the mo.

I bought the lower carrycot but didn't use it. It's oddly small and when constructed using the seat frame it has a metal bar (which is part of the footrest bit of the seat when it's a seat) somewhere near the shins of the baby which I just didn't like. I know you're not meant to use the car seat as a pram all the time, but for me a combination of using the car seat and then carrying in a sling I think has been fine.

Downside of having the lower seat facing forward is that access to the shopping basket is tricky. It's a wonderfully spacious basket when you just use it as a single buggy! Also, with the extra Pear Wheels that you must use on the frame it is trickier to steer than a normal single buggy - not so easy to do it one-handed as with the Bugaboo but possible. Some manual movement sometimes needed to get the front wheels to re-engage when changing direction but nothing too terrible. It's amazing that it still fits in the floor space of a single buggy - I often have people saying - 'oh there's two in there'. Particularly when we're in lifts. The very easy handle height adjuster button makes a difference - less fussy than the Bugaboo.

The fact that the buggy becomes a single is great too. Depending on where we're going I can just pop the car seat onto the wheels and have the toddler in a harness or put both seats on and have both children safely in the Pear.

To my disadvantage I found that the maxi cosi cabrio version that we had, bought in 2006, is marginally wider than the one you can buy in the shops today. If you study them (which I have) the newer style has a flatter circle where the handle joins the frame of the car seat (on both sides). The older style has a much wider circle. Don't know why, but what it means is that the older cabrio's can't be put closest to the handle of the pram (i.e. the width of the car seat is more than the space between the handles). I get round it by putting the car seat in the upper position away from me but I'd like to be able to put the younger one close to me sometimes. In this case the older would be facing me too, lower and behind the younger, but if he's asleep it would be fine. But as it happens I can't so bear that in mind if you have an older Cabrio.

I recently realised that when using the upper position for the car seat it is higher off the ground than when putting the car seat onto the Bugaboo wheels. Quite nice really. On the flip side the lower seat is lower down but not as low as the Umbrella style buggies you get and no where near as low as a Phil and Ted!

Hope this isn't too detailed. Just thought I'd let people know how I find it with children of different ages. Interestingly my local nursery shop didn't encourage me to buy the Pear at all. They said it was really for twins but I'd disagree. It has so many merits for dealing with children of different ages. I didn't fancy a side by side at all and there is really nothing else on the market like it.

I read a review that said the seats were really small and that it was a struggle to get their 14 month old in. How have you found this aspect of it? My oldest will be 22 months when baby number 2 is born. He's petite but quite long.
Are there really 20 different combinations? I think I've only seen about half a dozen in pics ;oD

ive seen this round town and its not that large which is good for a double buggy it looks very nice to me but when you see it and try it is too different things lol good luck x

I can't find any pros to this idea other than it looks good and it will fit through a normal door - no trouble of large side by sides!

Main downside to me without even experiencing this pram is the icandy as a single (apple) can be a nightmare to fold & fit into a car ...I just can't even imagine this as a double :shock: I don;t drive but now and then need a taxi and my MIL wouldn't even touch the icandy when she had Caitlin which was a downer for her so I bought a stroller.

I'd imagine that yep you could nicely move it about on wheels but then what about the rest?

Not for me I dare not think about it much more for fear of changing my mind on a look good basis!

LMAO

I'm not using it as a double defo on that one :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"