Has anyone..

KawaiiNinja

Reaction score
Given birth to a 35 week Baby or know anyone who has? I've given birth three days ago to a baby boy at 35 weeks and 4 days and he is now kept in an incubator at the Special Baby Care Unit in hospital. I've been discharged two days ago, but I can't help but worry about my son, the nurses taking care of him says that he was low on red blood cells but they've already done a blood transfusion on him which turned out really successful. Does anyone know how long roughly he'd need to stay there for? If it helps, he weighs a good 5.9lbs, and he's receiving milk through a tube. It doesn't help that I really miss him so much and I can't wait for him to come home to us. =(

Hi :)
Don't know anyone at 35 but my daughter was born at 25 4 weeks ago.
She has had 2 transfusions already, they help soo much especially giving a bit more energy.
5.9lbs is a good weight, they will keep him in until they are certain he is stable and well enoguh, no one will be able to say as it depends on how well the treatment works, like say his red blood cells count stayed at the right level then he would be out alot quicker I would imagine.

xx

Thank you divadexie!
That was really reassuring and helped me calm down a bit, mind you, I was really scared!
But WOW! Congratulations on your baby girl! She's a real fighter too. =)

Thank you :)

The staff in there are amazing, your wee boy is in the best possible place and will get all the care he needs, I always imagined the place to be very straight forward and nurses only being at the babies when something was needed doing but now I see them between tasks just having a wee chat to the babies its lovely they care so much. The best thing you can do right now is make sure you get enough rest (you know you wont once he comes home! hehe) and try not to worry too much (I know its hard!) if you have any questions do not be scared to ask any of the staff where your boy is either, they should only be happy to answer, and also there are plenty of other parents on here going through similar or even the same thing so don't be afraid to pm one of us for a chat xxx

I had my lo at 34 + 3 and she weighed a healthy 5 lb 8. She was in neonatal for 36 hours and then discharged onto transitional care where we spent another 5 days in together until we managed to establish breast feeding. She also had some issues maintaining her temperature which delayed our release. Sorry to hear they have discharged you and lo is still in. I've not heard of it happening like this for a baby so late on but maybe things are different in our area. That's a great weight so I'm sure you'll be home soon. xxx

My lo was born at 25 weeks and had her last transfusion at 33 weeks. Right up to around 38 weeks her blood count hovered on needing a transfusion but they held off as they wanted to give her bone marrow a chance to produce it's own red cells which it eventually did.

I am not sure if this applies to babies born at 35 weeks.

Hope your lo is home with you soon x

Thank you all for the replies.
My baby would've been home soon because he just started learning how to breathe by himself, but now the problem now is.. he's developed jaundice! =(
They've done an exchange transfusion on him today and he's being kept underneat UV light for phototherapy treatment.

Hi, and congratulations on the birth of your son :)

My daughter was born at 27 weeks and is now 36 weeks gestation. I was told today that they no longer go by the baby's weight or due date, but by whether they can hold their temperature, stay off CPAP and feed.

Your baby was a really good weight and I'm sure he will come on in leaps and bounds, and be home with you in no time. His lungs etc will be well developed by now and the jaundice is cleared up quickly - Sophie had it when she was first born and just spent a couple of days being treated under the UV lamp.

It's very hard going home without your baby. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here xxx

My little girl was born by section at 34+6, and spent 2 weeks in special care. She first went into ICU due to issues with the birth, but then went to special care (a step down) because she wasn't feeding properly. Once she started feeding we asked when she'd be home and were given a vague 'by friday' (this was monday). The next day she was home. They will send your baby home as soon as he is able - as someone else said, he needs to be healthy, temperature regulate, breath and feed without issues. You are lucky his weight was fine, that should be a huge help.

Congratulations! Poppy was born at 34 +2 and we were told to expect her to stay in till her due date. She came out after 2 weeks though, but the main issues we had were establishing breastfeeds and the jaundice - she was under the phototherapy a lot in the first week.

Sounds like he is doing well though so FX it won't be too long till he's out xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->