Has becoming a mother changed your way of thinking?

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
It has mine.

Before becoming Mum you'd say 'I wouldnt do that use that do it that way I'd do it that way' etc etc etc but now your Mum how much of those things do you think actually stuck or will stick as your LOs get older (even if you don't remember all) - I think a bigger % of my fairy dream way of being a Mum has changed.

What about you girls? Have you found or if you sit and think about it that your guess of being Mum really wasn't real lol

x

oh my the things I said we wouldn't do and the things I thought we'd be able to do (go out without problems, sleep etc.) Hannah has made me do 360 on most of it :rofl:

eeeeerrrrmmmm, im not sure, i couldnt imagine been a mum before so i didnt really no how i would be! i did have prefrences on some peoples parenting, and my opinion was i wouldnt have done that and i still dont think i would, the point in question was soem 1 i no told their children at only 7/8 what sex was hhhmmmm im not sure they where ready to no, i mean playing with dolls should of been at the top of their list not thinking about how they got here, i no, its changed me in other ways such as i was a bit of a dare devil before i was a mummy and i didnt have a care in the world, now i spend most of days sh**ing my self, and worring about, she makes me think twice about every thing i do. xxxxxx

Yes it has definitely changed.

"I will not feed junk to my kids." HAHAHA That failed.

Hmm, they get whiney and I always thought I wouldn't give in to my kids when I said no. Well, what I didn't count on was having two young ones and 2 whining at the same time. "Fine, yes." LOL

"My kids will be in bed at a set time every night." I didn't count on the fact that I'd have one night owl child.

The things you said you wouldn't and would do definitely change. Hard to make set rules and routines sometimes when you're dealing with different types of children. Obviously, no one child is the same as another.

i work in a nursery so i have seen a very large range of parenting skills and ideas and lots that i have thought would i hell ever be doing that etc, i have been very good with the things i set out SO FAR!!! she is only 10 weeks old so plenty of time to get many bad habits lol

Lou
xxx

tbh i'm the same as lou, maddi has been good with all her sleeping, eating etc, so we kinda followed the things we set out to do before she was born, such as sleeping our room till 6months and setting bed times etc. but tbh its more down to the fact maddi is an easy baby rather than us :rofl:

i'm much more relaxed than i ever thought possible (james' influence, i'm normally sooooooo highly strung its unreal :lol:)

the one thing we always said we would do it wean slightly earlier than recommended (4/5months) as i never wanted to wean quickly at 6months, as recommended, however we made it to 6months (with over a 9lber at birth) and still weaned slower :dohh: as maddi has been poorly from it.

this all said, there's still lots of time for it all to go 'tit's up' as james would say, though on the whole, when i was pregnant my idea of motherhood was to go with the flow, and just do what seems right at the time, and this is how i've been.... so far :)

Hmm, they get whiney and I always thought I wouldn't give in to my kids when I said no. Well, what I didn't count on was having two young ones and 2 whining at the same time. "Fine, yes." LOL

"My kids will be in bed at a set time every night." I didn't count on the fact that I'd have one night owl child.

The things you said you wouldn't and would do definitely change. Hard to make set rules and routines sometimes when you're dealing with different types of children. Obviously, no one child is the same as another.

Yep im the same , i was so sure on the fact id never give Carly treats , chocolate or anything. I would NEVER give her a Mc donalds :dohh: However she has only had about 3 and the ones with the fruit bags in but still i was so sure i wouldnt let her touch them :lol:

Yep im the same , i was so sure on the fact id never give Carly treats , chocolate or anything. I would NEVER give her a Mc donalds :dohh: However she has only had about 3 and the ones with the fruit bags in but still i was so sure i wouldnt let her touch them :lol:

im the same.

for me i've found it slightly easier to stick to things with callum, like he has a set bedtime and will go to bed everynight at that time without any hassle, whereas nicole never has and probably never will have a set bedtime.

i was convinced katie would never watch telly, that went down the pan when i realised that mr tumble was the best way to get a brew and breckie!

i also said i'd wait til atleast4months to wean, but there was no way that was gona happen, she's just such a hungry girl!

i'm also a lot more careful now, i think twice before doing things!

she's only 12weeks so i've got plenty more time to do things i said i wouldnt!

I was such a niave fool before i had jacob, i thought "he'll go to bed everynight no prob" "he'll be a good sleeper :rofl:" "i would never co-sleep" "i would have a good rountine!"

Well everything went downhill after day one, but im happy and he's happy so i dont care :) Yeah we co-sleep, yeah he wraps me round his lil finger, and have no rountine but he is a happy chappy :)

I think if i have another one ill be more realistic with me thinking :rofl: XxX

i think most things i thought have been right and have managed to keep to a lot of it apart from 'we will never co sleep' and 'ill only breastfeed for 6 months' x

Yes, I said I'd never co-sleep and we are currently doing that, with my lil man though I will NOT co-sleep

I get upset and worried to what lilys going to face when she grows up. What kind of world we've created for her. I never was too bothered before hand.

I think I stand up for myself more now, because of lily (altho i'm still pretty much a walkover) And i always seem on edge for some reason

I was such a naive little child! .dohh:

I thought how I'm going to put her to bed at the set time and be all stern with the routine, how completely in control I'll be... pfft!

She totally has me wrapped around her finger, she goes to bed at the time she set for herself and we hardly have a routine.
Ahh well what can you do, she's a happy kid and thats what I wanted to acomplish in the first place.

Everything changed the second she was born.

Even something minute as driving down the highway with my OH, scares me more as she's in the car with us. Before it was rare if I even gave it a second thought.

I also swore up and down that I'd never use a bassinet. I was going to use our playard that has a bottom that can be raised up at the foot of our bed. My SIL's SIL gave me hers, and I'm telling you its a godsend. I know I wouldn't have been happy having Claire at the foot of the bed. I feel so much better that she's right up beside me.

I swore up and down that I'd exclusivly breastfeed, but that didn't work out so well for me either. It's easy to say things, but much different to actually put them to motion once the baby arrives, eh?

Ah yeah.

I'll breastfeed - I'm bottle feeding.
She'll sleep in her crib - she sleeps in her crib 1/2 the night and then I take her to bed with me.
She won't watch tv - she is currently sitting in her chair watching the colours and sounds on the tv :rofl:

There's loads of others too. I won't feed her junk, she'll eat organic food, she'll never step foot inside a McDonald's, I'll never yell at her...ask me how I do with these when she's big enough to have to deal with these issues :rofl:

Although, I am determined to stand firm on the McDonald's! I'm more of a subway kinda girl, I don't see it being a big issue.

i was convinced katie would never watch telly, that went down the pan when i realised that mr tumble was the best way to get a brew and breckie!

i also said i'd wait til atleast4months to wean, but there was no way that was gona happen, she's just such a hungry girl!

Ha ha ha!! Exactly the same as me!!! I will NOT sit MY child in front of the TV..... Mr Tumble is my new best friend!!!! I was such a naive twat.

And as for the weaning and the breast feeding..... BYE BYE BOOBIES!!!! and hello sweet potato!!!!!!! xxx

I was one of these "no chocolate, no mc donalds, no fizzy drink"
I've stuck to the chocolate and fizzy drink ones really well (bar special occasions) but I have to admit that she has had about 4 mc donalds.. I feel bad to admit it lol, how silly.. we try to make them as healthy as possible though, fruit, smoothie etc.
I always said "set routine with bedtime and naps" and i've kept that really well as well.

Before you're a mum, I think you take your spare time for granted and I don't think you can prepare yourself for how much of a challenge it is. I knew id be firm, but I find myself feeling more guilty than I ever thought I would. I also thought out of me and Sonny, id be the "strict" one.. but thats completely the other way around.

I think it's so easy to imagine how you're going to do things, but sometimes they're not always possible in the real world!

I haven't changed much... I've stuck to my beliefs pretty well... I believe that babies should be started on things earlier then later with sleeping and naps etc. And thats how i've done... Jasmines been in her crib since a week old, we always stuck to a good night routine etc.

apart from not managing to exclusively breastfeeding and weaning earlier than we intended, I've stuck pretty much to what I intended to do. I'm quite relaxed about stuff and didn't really have too many firm ideas.

I think generally though, I have much more appreciation for how hard being a Mum is! And some things that I thought were indications of being an awful Mum before I gave birth I've realised really aren't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->