Hates play time.

karlilay

Mum of 2 :)
Reaction score
Madi is really struggling at school with break and lunch time. She gets upset and tells them she is poorly, she's not. She doesn't eat alot and then clings to the dinner ladies all lunch time.

Break times are the same. SHe HATES outdoors (I am the same) and the non structure. I am dreading her having to go out in the cold, and her being upset, although I don't really know what to do.. :cry:

Edit - she doesn't like the crowds of children or the noise, and she is fine when she's in the classroom.

No advise Hun, Omar is the same he refuses to go out during break & he still doesn't touch food at school. According to him food is too smelly & outdoor is too hot. At school they understand his sensitivity & they leave him indoor with one of the TAs when they go outdoor. It's only for 20 mins, he prefers structured activities although he doesn't always participate, but he doesn't like free play time xx

Is there a school duty outside? Anyone walking around the school she could walk or chat with, or organised games? Or what if she brought skipping ropes for herself and a friend?

Have you spoken much with her teacher about it? It might be an idea to sit down together and come up with a strategy that helps her cope and gradually adjust to play times?

I have childhood memories of hating being forced to go out in the cold weather to play, we used to sneak into the toilets and hide there if it was really cold haha! If it's school policy though you will have to gently encourage her, find out why? Does she not have friends? Doesn't know what to play with. I like what a previous poster said about walking with a teaching assistant- she might feel like she's 'helping' out?

I would suggest that you need to talk to her teacher about this and see if you can come up with strategies to help her.

How do you know that this happens? I'm not saying it doesn't but you need to check exactly what does happen. For pretty much the whole if reception Daniel told me he didn't have any one to play with and he just wandered about the playground in his own. We spoke to his teachers who reassured us that he did play with the other children, he would wander around on his win at times and when they questioned him he said he wanted to be on his own. My niece also attended the school at the time and Daniel and she are very close and she confirmed what the teachers said.

maybe speak to teacher, when I was teaching I gave up part of my lunch time to go outside with a group of children who found it hard without structure and taught them playground games like duck, duck goose, had balls etc and set up games and activities for them, they would go into lunch and then I would go out with them, we also had activities inside for children who finished their dinner earlier then went out as a group. Maybe see if there are any lunch time clubs she could go to or something. Every school is different, I hated lunch times at school as I was so shy.

my son is similar, he just doesn't like other children at all lol (although he loves outdoors)

the teachers say it a common problem with children that dont have siblings (or close sibling bonds) and that its generally good as they learn things faster from adults without getting sidetracked like other children

I was the same, absolutely hated other children but im fine with people now

My daughter is 4 and a half, started school in September, for the last week at school before Xmas she didn't eat any lunch, packed lunch hadn't been touched and today was the same, she says she has tummy ache at lunch times, I think it's anxiety!

She's quite anxious anyway but seems to have got this in her head and now won't eat lunch, the thing is if a big deal is made of it then she gets even worse, so we try to ignore it and I'm hoping she will eat lunch this week at school.

She also doesn't like alot of noise, and is nervous around loud kids who are running around!

My daughter is 4 and a half, started school in September, for the last week at school before Xmas she didn't eat any lunch, packed lunch hadn't been touched and today was the same, she says she has tummy ache at lunch times, I think it's anxiety!

She's quite anxious anyway but seems to have got this in her head and now won't eat lunch, the thing is if a big deal is made of it then she gets even worse, so we try to ignore it and I'm hoping she will eat lunch this week at school.

She also doesn't like alot of noise, and is nervous around loud kids who are running around!

maybe she doesn't like eating in public, it seems odd but I refused to eat at school all the way through till I left (and my mam trying to get the dinner ladies to force feed me didnt help)

I remained the same even eating in private at home right up until I got pregnant (I didnt get morning sickness but I had constant hunger pains so everything went out the window then)

some people tried to say I had an eating disorder (because im also slim) but I eat like a horse lol I just didn't do it around others, dont know why im so weird with it but I just never liked public eating (I guess like some people dont like public kissing etc...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->