Have I got pnd or is it in my head?

Jo1987

Reaction score
Hello,

Please bear with me especially if this in the wrong place or its too long. This site has always been fantastic for me in the past and I could use advise.

My baby is 6 months old and I also have a 4 year old. For the past three weeks I've started to feel a bit more anxious about everything. Started getting paranoid and feeling low. I did Google my symptoms because im that type of person and post natal depression did come up. I looked at the symptoms and could sort of relate to a lot of them.
I just wanted a bit of advise as to where I go from here and also anyone who's gone through it. I have no thoughts of hurting myself I just feel low. Like the washing pile is never empty the house is never clean, I always look rough. And I know that's not what I should be worry about but I do.
I feel like my husbands never home and all the money is his because im on maternity leave. I snap at my four year old for doing something one day and the next day I'm calmy asking her not to do it.
I shout at my husband for the stupidest thing like if he leaves a towel in the wrong place.
I've got no interest in sex. I'm suddenly scared someone is going to break in, I suddenly hate being alone not because of the kids I just hate being alone. There has been burglaries in our area lately.
I can't sleep unless ive had a drink or painkillers and when I do sleep I have vivid dreams and nightmares.
I eat everything in site. I'm paranoid about everything, I can't even tell my best friend all this incase she tells my husband etc. I'm scared to go out incase something happens. Im really starting to struggle but I'm scared if I go docs social services will get involved and assess me or something.
I did tell my husband how I was feeling and he sort of brushed it off and said that post natal depression only happens start after birth. I've started smoking again too and I'm not sure if that's making my anxiety any worse.

I really don't know what to do any one got any ideas or advise.

Thanks

There is a lull in hormones, I think it's pitocine, between 6 and 9 months, which can make you feel low. I've been feeling the same as you (in Jan - still do), but as well as the lull I have had a LOT of crap and stressful things going on so after breaking down in front of the doctor in early January she put me on a low dose of anti d's. It has helped a lot, I'm no longer bursting into tears every 5 seconds and can deal with things a lot better. I still have a lot of things going on and my doc wants me to up my meds, but I don't want to until I have some answers about some of the things going on.
If you feel like you can't cope, go and speak to your doctor. You don't need to worry about anything happening with social services etc. it sounds as if it's the lull in hormones that's causing you to feel this way. Massive hugs, I know how you're feeling xxxxx

:hugs: I would definitely try and speak to your doctor or even health visitor? I had severe and prolonged postpartum depression and social services were never involved so like above poster don't worry about that. I hope you feel better xx

Aw hun so sorry you are feeling like you do i would speak to your HV or GP hun I have sever prolonged PND ;( hugs xxxx

Man. My daughter is 13 months old and since ~11 months I've been having crazy anxiety episodes. I have been in the ER twice with what they are calling "migraine with aura"... except it's mostly just aura. I have a lot of brain fog, too. And I snap and/or cry at everything. In March I started having what you're describing on the severe anxiety + sleeping with vivid dreams/nightmares. I think I've also had some panic attacks. I do notice it comes and goes for me, like two weeks OK and two weeks HORRIBLE (the two weeks before my period). I'm guessing it's hormones??? I can't get a GP doctor to diagnose that or even give me hormonal tests beyond simple ones (i.e. generic blood panel reading and the "congrats! you aren't anemic!" really?!). Every doctor I've seen brushes it off as "just stress"... except that I was way more stressed last year when my daughter was born and I had to finish my dissertation. I did finish it, I've even secured a job, I just had my in-laws help with my daughter for like two months... WTF is wrong with my body?!

Firstly, what your DH said is nonsense. Everyone goes through the "baby blues" in the weeks following the birth. PND is different and often doesn't even kick in until 6 months down the line. I would highly recommend going to your GP for help. I really didn't want to go down the route of medication but mine got so severe (about 2-3 months pp) that I felt I had no choice. I have felt SO much better since, I don't know what I'd do without them!! I've been for cognitive behavioural therapy too which I'd also highly recommend.

Sorry that cut off a bit abruptly! Was gonna go on my laptop and carry on cos I hate typing on my mobile but it's been hijacked! I'll carry on tmrw :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->