Have you had a baby name 'ruined' for you?

O

onetwothreebp

One of my favourite girl names is Ambry. (Am-Bree)

However, I've had to cross it off my list because unfortunately it sounds too close to Amber. I have an older sister named Amber and we do NOT get along. She would probably either accuse me of copying her name or try to tell everyone I named baby after her!!

So regretfully, the name is gone.

Has anybody else had something similar happen to them?

I loved the name Ruairidh (pronounced Ruari, it's Gaelic) until a slightly odd guy joined the company I work for with that name. It's off the list now :(

everyone hates my fav girl name and let me know so... im refusing to let it put me off although ill admit theyv took the joy out of it

We're not telling anyone our names for that reason. What is your girl name out of interest?

My OH deliberately does this to any name I liked/like. He finds ways to ruin perfectly lovely names.

Some examples:

Lucas - "puke-as, mucous, George Lucas *makes light saber noises*"
Elsa - "ulcer"
Alice - sings "Alice, Alice, who the F*** is Alice?"
Lucy - "loo seat"

:dohh:

There are hundreds more. He sucks!

I really like the name Isabelle but because our surname is pronounced "pain", dh said she would get called "Is-a-pain". I kind of liked Anais but again he said she would get called "Anus pain". Richard would become "Dick pain". And i love Madeline but again "Mad pain". I hate his surname.

Our current name has been ripped apart by my family but I am not giving it up. The last comment came this morning "Didnt know you were giving birth to a car!", i.e referring to the fiat sienna :growlmad:

Oh and Max...Max pain. He was actually hoping to be able to name our kid that..."MAXXXXXXX PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIN!!!!!!!!"

I have always always said I would call a baby boy George. My Dad is George and the name has been well used in my Dads Mums family. I love it! All my dollies as a child were boys and they were always called George. Now it is sure to be the most popular name as Wills and Kate have chosen that name for their Prince :)

My second boys name would have been Oliver. My cousin called her baby Oliver last year.

My other cousin also had a baby boy 2 years ago. The name she had picked was a closely guarded secret and was finally revealed as Harper - her Mums Mums maiden name. 2 days later - the Beckhams called their GIRL Harper. Oops!

x

My OH and I are finding that we each have negative association with names...unfortunately its not towards the same names. So while I love a name he hates it because of so and so, and I have to rspect that because there are names he mentions that I dislike because I cant stand a person I know with that particular name.

We have a 5 hr road trip coming up this weekend so I am thinking of buying a baby name book and taking the time to come up with a few options.

I used to like Ellie short for Elsinore (my mams house name which seems silly now anyway lol) but I dated a guy called Ellis who went by Ellie so thats useless now

I kind of liked Daisy for a while (not sure if I would have used it as I had a cat named Daisy, but still) then I met OH, whose named is pronounced Dukes (different sp).

Not thinking, I suggested it for dd#1 and he made Dukes of Hazzard references for weeks!!! :dohh:

He was desperate to use it for aaaaages :haha:

I haven't had the same happen to me, but my mother did. My cousin who is the months older than me, has the name my mother picked for me. There was apparently some spat going on and my aunt stole my name.
My sister had a little girl almost two years ago and was having a hard time coming up with a name both her and OH were happy with. I suggested a name off of my own list and they both fell in love with it. I'm kind of sad I can't use the name now, but I did give them permission to use it and I think it fits her very well.

My favourite names for years were Jaime for a girl and Dylan for a boy. OH has a cousin called Jamie and his surname starts with Dy so can't use either. OHs are so inconsiderate sometimes!

My OH deliberately does this to any name I liked/like. He finds ways to ruin perfectly lovely names.

Some examples:

Lucas - "puke-as, mucous, George Lucas *makes light saber noises*"
Elsa - "ulcer"
Alice - sings "Alice, Alice, who the F*** is Alice?"
Lucy - "loo seat"

:dohh:

There are hundreds more. He sucks!

My LO is Alice and when I told a few people, they all sang that song. I didn't let it put me off though, although it was OH who chose Alice :)

I adore the name Lily-Rose. Hubby's name is Meadows. Enough said I think. Lol. Thankfully we're having a little boy. We started thinking of names when we started TTC in July 2008 and we still don't have a boys name. Kind of hope he comes with one if you know what I mean.

Steph Isabelle is a great name! ;) I don't think she'd get teased, it's not bad together. It happens... Like hubby likes a name but I don't because it was the name of a mean girl I know.

Josephine ("Jo"). It ended up being the family cat's name.

I also like William, but TWO members of my family have that name already.

Try being a teacher!!! One horrid class of scrotes and that's half your baby names gone! We've managed to choose two though that we like:
Thomas for a boy, you rarely get a naughty Thomas, they tend to be brighter and nice lads.
Rhiannon for a girl, I've never taught a Rhiannon!

School ruined Cameron, Matthew, Lara and a few others for me :-(

Thomas for a boy, you rarely get a naughty Thomas, they tend to be brighter and nice lads.

You're lucky. My BIL is Thomas and he's a horrid little 16 year old. I also have a cousin called Thomas, he was three the day before my wedding and decided he didn't want to wait for the cake to be cut before he ate some.

Try being a teacher!!! One horrid class of scrotes and that's half your baby names gone! We've managed to choose two though that we like:
Rhiannon for a girl, I've never taught a Rhiannon!

School ruined Cameron, Matthew, Lara and a few others for me :-(

:haha: Tell me about it!! I loved the name Caitlyn until we had a Caitlin with Tourettes, ADHD and major OCD in class! (I teach SEN) Lovely kid but constantly squeaked and didn't sit down once in a year and a half!!! :wacko:

Several names got crossed off the list that way :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"