Have you tried this...?

JoycesMum

Reaction score
Hi :) My name is Kim. I have a 13 mo son and we've recently started the process of transitioning him to eat more foods. We've had trouble getting him to eat the pre-made purees, and so it's been difficult to get him to eat. When I was doing some research about it I came across some food feeders (it looks like there's two main types 1. Mesh: https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Fre...F8&qid=1432920185&sr=8-1&keywords=food+feeder 2. Silicon: https://www.amazon.com/Kidsme-Food-...F8&qid=1432920185&sr=8-3&keywords=food+feeder) Has anyone tried a food feeder before? Did it work? Do you think it's worth a try? If not, do you have any other suggestions for ways to get your kid to eat food?

Thanks for your help!! :)

I would probably steer away from the feeders at his age. They are designed more for people just starting weaning who want to feed fresh fruit, for example, without feeling nervous about choking, particularly before 6 months. At 13 months, he'll have his fist grip and pincer grip down and can pick up and bring food to his mouth perfectly fine and should be able to hold it and chew on it. It's basically a way to make purees without actually getting out your food processor. So I would steer away from that now because you really want to encourage him to eat normal food, not purees. What are you trying now? Are you sitting down together and eating meals all together? Are you offering him the same foods as you're eating? I would move in that direction. Assuming he's otherwise healthy, he'll be capable of eating all the same foods you eat now (except whole nuts), so it's just a matter of practice and letting him watch you and resisting the urge to try to feed him or hover or get him to eat things. Just put food down in front of him, eat your own meal, and don't make a big deal out of what he's eating or if he's eating at all. It may take time (as in a few months time, even), but he'll get the hang of it. But letting him try to mimic you with the same sorts of foods is really key. That would be my suggestion.

I would also just offer bits of whatever you're eating and let him feed himself.

We used the mesh feeder when Lexi was about 6 months just for things like banana that got too sloppy so she couldn't hold it but she hasn't used it for months. At a year old she's now eating everything we do. It's messy 99% of the time with food being thrown everywhere but she loves chowing down especially since she got more teeth.

I use one of these for my daughter at 9 months. She loves it. She isn't that great with her food but she will always have a good chew on whatever is in here. I think if you use it occasionally just to try and encourage self feeding then it isn't such a bad thing

I agree, my DD is very independent and wants to feed herself. She prefers holding chunky pieces of fruit and veg :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->