Having 1 of those "shall i just quit and get some formula" days

Bunnikins

Reaction score
Its a lovely sunny day and my 21 month old is stuck at home with me as my 3 week old cluster feeds. I remember this from 1st time round, im pretty much stuck here all day with the odd break while she naps.

We were going to have a nice day out, but now we cant.

plus, on a "normal" day BF is pretty full on. I laugh when i read "your baby should feed 8+ times a day!" 8?? a DAY?? I did a BF log on a "normal, good" day and baby fed 18 times! My poor toddler is getting neglected. I cant run around the garden with her playing. I have a screaming baby to attend to 18 times a day! (on a good day!)

People also will say "itll get better at x weeks". No, it doesnt really. Maybe a bit better, but you still have "growth spurts" so frequently the "normal" days in between seem like few and far between.

I kept BF logs with my daughter who BF for 6 month and she still fed VERY frequently at 4-5 months.

Desperately in need of some positivity today before I drive to the store with my screaming baby and buy bottles and formula!

Oh sweetheart I know the feeling, breastfeeding can really feel like you're trapped can't it? It does suck (ha, no pun intended) from time to time, and when the hard times go on and on it's nigh on soul destroying.

Remember that it does get easier once you get past the 3 month hurdle and the routines are a bit more predictable. If you're happy to nurse in public then you should find a bit more freedom then. In the meantime there's always the inbetween option of expressing? And do you know what - if you change your mind and decide to FF then so be it. It's not the end of the world.

Keep going, you're doing a great job. And keep remembering all those bottles you don't currently need to wash!

Have you tried feeding in a carrier? It might take some practice, but if you can get comfortable with it, you could still go out with your toddler while feeding your baby.

Would your toddler play by herself at a park or something? In theory you could sit on the bench and feed while she runs around and plays. I know my LO wouldn't be down for that, but maybe worth a try?

And remember although it feels like forever now, in reality 6 or 12 months is a very short period of time. It won't be long before you're out and about with both kids. And your daughter is still very young, you may feel bad stuck in with her at the moment but she won't remember it and she isn't going to begrudge it cos she doesn't know any different. I understand though, my almost 6 month old still feeds every 1-2 hours in the day, so much for every 3-4 hours! Formula might not be a perfect solution either, you have to sterilise bottles and take supplies out with you and you'll still have to sit down and feed the baby. This time will pass, there's a huge growth spurt at 3 weeks too remember xx

Thanks for your support. Im still BF. Ive had a few 2 hour gaps between feeds today which has been nice. I even went out for an hour :D Just finished a 3 hour evening cluster feed marathon but hey.. i got to watch a bit of TV with my feet up. Its not so bad in evening when other child in bed.

Youre very right about sterilizing/washing bottles Cyan.. and irish_cob thats a very good point about it only being 6 months which is nothing really in the great scheme of things.
Staralfur...I tried feeding in a sling with my 1st baby and it doesnt work for me as my boobs are absolutely huge. I couldnt do it without babys nose being squashed into me :)

I appreciate the help thankyou. Everyone around me keeps telling me to bottle feed and I know deep down this isnt what I want to do. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->