Having a cold while pregnant. What to do?

ButterflyX

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've had cold-like symptoms for 3 days already. Yesterday and today, it has gotten worse with full on runny nose and non stop cough.

What is safe to take during pregnancy to help me recover? Knowing that I will not have full on rest days the coming two-three weeks tell me that my body will have to fight this harder. I would really like to help it. Could you suggest what I can do?

Thanks a lot.

I have a cold right now, very sore throat and can't stop sneezing. I was told that I can't take any medicine for it. There is always honey, soup, green tea and ginger tea though. Right now I'm basically suffering through it.

I have had 3 bouts of flu sickness since pregnant... Really stinks. Just getting over the latest bout. Although I hate to take something even if it's "approved" I was on night 4 of no sleep from not being able to breath and general body aches I got a regemine that seems to help. Irrigating my nose with distilled water, very warm bath with Epsom salts (magnesium in salts helped to sooth muscles) and a Benadryl and Tylenol before bed. I still suffered but got a few hours of sleep at least and almost felt human lol. Hope you feel better soon!

I'm not certain but I was hoping to write down responses for future reference! I hope you're feeling better soon:flower:

Your doctor or pharmacist may be able to give you some ideas. If vitamin C is okay in pregnancy I'd definitely get on that, it usually kicks colds out of the water if I start it asap.

I take paracetamol which is safe. A lot of flu powders have decongestants in which work by constricting blood vessels which in theory can affect placental blood flow so avoid these!

Have a cold at the moment and its rubbish! My little girl has it too so both tired and miserable!

You can take any tylenol products, I believe. But ask your doctor for confirmation.

Its crap because it hardly does anything to help, but if you can't sleep at all tylenol cold will at least knock you out for the night.

When i was pregnant with DS i came down with the flue twice and was told to take paracetamol.

Paracetamol and plenty of fluids... Unfortunately that's all you can take x

Paracetamol but if you feel really rough see doc so can check for infection and they will give antibiotics

I'm at the arse end of a severe chest infection just now and, other than the anti biotics, I've been taking paracetamol regularly and soothers.

My doctor told me it's safe to take Tylenol for pain, Benadryl for runny nose, Chloraseptic spray or throat lozenges for sore throat, and dextromethorphan for cough. In the second trimester, she said it's safe to take Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) for congestion.

As other ladies have said, paracetemol is safe and drink plenty of fluids. I have a cold at the moment and I am using a tiny drop of vicks vaporub on my throat and chest, my doctor and local pharmacist said it is safe to use in pregnancy.

Hope you feel better soon!

xx

Geeze not sure if this thread jinxed me but now i have caught DS's cold, my throat is killing me and body aches from hell!

Thank god for paracetamol.

I've had quite a few colds in my last pregnancy and early in this pregnancy, especially with DD1 bringing everything back from nursery. I just had to rest and wait for it to pass :-(

hope you're feeling better soon. x

Hi, there are some things u can take that are safe. U can take nasal decongestant drops or a spray. But not tablets. U can take paracetamol and I take my son's baby cough syrup for my chest and throat. Boots also sell glycerin lozenges for your throat. I always use them anyway. U can also take antihistamine tablets to help with runny nose, congestion etc.

Hope this helps & feel better soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->