Having such a hard time with breastfeeding

ItsJana

Reaction score
This is my third baby and I've never had the issues I'm having with this baby (he's 2 weeks old).
My LO seems to have favoured the tip of the nipple and no matter how many times I adjusted him he managed to do some damage to it. I now have a small cut on my right nipple. I was told by the pubic heath nurse to stop feeding on that side and use my pump. After a few days of pumping the cut opened and bled into the milk (pump is on the lowest setting). I'm still pumping and so far there hasn't been anymore blood. But I now am having issues with extremely sore boobs, the left side more than the right, it feels like a big bruise on the side and lifting my arm too high hurts. I've tried hot showers, a hot water bottle and I'm pumping every 4 hours. I'm so worried I'm going to get an infection. I need advice, is there something else I could do to help ease and get rid of the pain?

Have you tried cabbage leaves? It can help with engorgement pain so might be worth a try even if that isn't the problem? 10 mins at a time every couple of hours, but you need to watch it as they can dry milk up if left too long/used to often. Big hugs. I remember the discomfort so well.

Honestly that breast needs draining fully or you could get horrendous mastiTis. I'm afraid that baby will do that much better than the pump.

I understand the pain, DS2 latch was poor too and I had a split in my nipple until he hit 12 ish weeks. I just kept it clean and moist with lanolin ointment, and just pushed through.

Can you get baby checked for a tongue tie? It's often the reason behind a shallow latch (though not the reason for ours, I just had to wait for his mouth to grow).

Xx

If he is latching on correctly but ending up on the tip of the nipple he likely has a lip tie. There are two options for this - one, see if your LO adapts to the lip tie and manages to latch well and get good transfer, or, get the tie snipped/lasered.

Your pain sounds like blocked duct. You can use a hot compress prior to pumping (help flow) and a cool compress after pumping (reduce swelling). Massage the breast from the nipple outward to where the pain is in large circles when you are in the shower. Quite often trying a different hold will mean that the cut won't be affected by latching LO, LO is the BEST suction to clear blocks in the breast.

Personally and IME I really recommend you take a good probiotic.

To get started and to help with the pain and any anxiety you may have, you are able to take some ibuprofen 20 - 30 mins before you feed.

Honestly that breast needs draining fully or you could get horrendous mastiTis. I'm afraid that baby will do that much better than the pump.

I understand the pain, DS2 latch was poor too and I had a split in my nipple until he hit 12 ish weeks. I just kept it clean and moist with lanolin ointment, and just pushed through.

Can you get baby checked for a tongue tie? It's often the reason behind a shallow latch (though not the reason for ours, I just had to wait for his mouth to grow).

Xx

That's what I'm worried about...mastitis. I've never heard of tongue tie before ad the health nurse never mentioned it. Are there other physical signs to look for? I use lansinoh and it has made pumping easier, it's just the heavy bruised feeling in my breast that is doing me in, when I hold my LO against my chest the pain is really intense.

That's what my left breast was like before I got ill. Always heavy and achey xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->