Hay fever and breastfeeding

Izzie74

Reaction score
So the blossom is on the trees here and I have started sneezing with itchy eyes. All meds say not suitable if pregnant or breastfeeding. Any suggestions? Last year I went without so suspect I will have to again this year?

Would love to help but can't as I have the same problem!!

Hot showers and hot herbal teas help a bit. Apparently nasal sprays work for some, but they make my nose bleed.

Just so you know, for mild antihistamines like Claritin/Loratadine, they actually are safe for your baby, but they can cause supply dips. I did used to take just one occasionally when my allergies got really bad, because I had oversupply with my son, so it wasn't a problem. My supply is a bit on the low side this time though, so can't risk it.

It's awful though, isn't it?! I really sympathise.

My doctor gave me a prescription for a nasal spray last year and it worked quite well. Will probably do the same again this year as I'm still breastfeeding.

I checked out a nasal spray and that also warned against using it...

The only thing my pharmacist would allow me to take was flixonase.

It depends how bad your symptoms are. All over the counter stuff will say "don't take" but your doctor will be able to advise whether this is because truly harmful even in small doses, harmful longterm, untested, affects milk supply etc.

My LO herself got prescribed Piriton at 7months old even though over the counter you can't buy it unless your child is over 1yr old (to stop people dosing healthy babies in order to make them sleep!).

Check with your doctor. All, I mean all (in the us anyway) say "consult with your healthcare provider if you are pregnant or breastfeeding" I have not seen any that say "don't take", just ones that say "consult with your doctor".

kellymom has some great resources for cold/allergy medication safety. I believe claritin/alavert are preferred, allegra should be "okay", nasal sprays are prefered to oral medicines...i am on my phone now or I would post the link.

I had an allergic reaction to antibiotics for mastitis, and the pharmacist said said that although not recommended, clarityne is the one they'd suggest for breastfeeding mothers. Ask your doctor just to be on the safe side.

I've taken Claritin with no problems - I wouldn't take things willy nilly with no research, but most of those warnings are just CYA moves. It didn't effect my supply at all, but if you're concerned, you can try drinking a breastmilk supporting tea or something while you're using it. Just don't take Claritin D, the decongestant can be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->