Hayfever :(

Pip12

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is anything we are allowed to take for hayfever, I think there's a nasal spray that's safe, has anyone used anything?

I've been researching this today! I think there is a nasal spray that's just basically a salt solution. It states on it that it's safe during pregnancy. Other than that I don't think anything is 100% safe as they haven't been tested. I'm thinking of heading to the go this week to double check that information though.

I've heard that local honey is supposed to be good to build up immunity. Also a bit of Vaseline around your nostrils catches the pollen before it goes in. A shower before bed so that if you've got pollen in your hair you're not going to be affected over night. I've ordered an air purifier (£25 on Amazon so only a cheapie one - some are hundreds!!). I'm waiting for that to arrive so will see if that helps.

Sunglasses on whenever you're outside as they act as a barrier. Keep windows closed and don't dry bed clothes etc outside. I've got fans dotted around the house as I live in such a hot house and I know I'll be suffering if I open the windows.

I've suffered with hayfever all my life and this is the second time I'll have been pregnant over summer so not taking any meds for it. If you're really bad and feel you have to have something, speak with your gp.

It's so miserable isn't it? I hope this helps a little!

I was told Zyrtec was safe. I try to take it as minimally as possible, though. I do get allergy shots, but they had to bump me down for the pregnancy, so they don't work as well or for as long. I was supposed to be getting them every 3-4 weeks, but my allergies have been so bad (and the dose is so low) that I've had to go weekly. Unfortunately, sometimes I miss, or I have breakthrough symptoms for whatever reason, and I've had to take Zyrtec at those times. My allergies can cause extreme blinking issues, so if they get too bad, I can't function very well at all. They also cause post nasal drip problems that leave me feeling like I'm choking, especially right now since my gag reflex is so sensitive from pregnancy. I really do try to hold out as long as possible, but sometimes it can't be avoided.

If you're just dealing with sinus issues and don't want to take medication, then I'd imagine you could try using a Neti pot with saline solution. It is really helpful and completely safe. :)

Thanks for those tips, really helpful I'll defitinely be trying them. I'm going to get the nasal spray, even if it's just saline I'm hoping it will help a bit. I suffered so badly in my last pregnancy too, it was horrible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->