He just won't eat

Samantha675

Maybe baby #3?!?
Reaction score
much of anything beyond yoghurt and cereal puffs. He doesn't seem to like the texture of most things that I give him, ie. rice, avocado, sweet potato. I tried going with a baby led weaning - delayed solids approach to this whole thing. Now I don't know what to do. I am doing my best to get him to start eating, but he is not helping me out.

Hannah's always preferred her solids so I'm not going to be much help I'm afraid. Have you tried different kinds of fruits and veggies or cheeses? Maybe eat with him so that he sees you eating it?

Aww hun...I'm not really sure if I have much advice to give. Have you tried asking your pediatrician? Have you tried nursing him less, so that he gets hungry and then try feeding him solids? Maybe try just dumping some spaghetti or something on his tray and letting him do it on his own; feeding himself. Hope you get something figured out!!

I would probably do what Vicki said. I know whenever I eat in front of Connor he normally wants what I'm eating. Good luck hun :hugs:

Oh I do eat in front of him. I hold up what ever it is and make a big show of taking a bite and it being soooo good. Then I offer it to him, he slams him lips shut and turns his head. I am just going to not worry about it. He will eat. He is nursing and he will start to be more interested in food. He loves yogurt, so that is at least a start, and watermelon.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v429/samantha675/Brennan/12%20months/watermelon.jpg

Yogurt is sweet which is why he likes it... the same with cereal puffs and things like that.

I am not sure what to suggest because I weaned early (the "old fashioned way"), I couldnt get my head around BLW... and Jasmine eats anything I give her.

Has he EVER eaten anything else? Im not sure what to suggest, other then cut out the yogurt and watermelon and offer veggies and fruit only... like the others said, perhaps not nurse him as much, its great that your still bfing....

Obviously you cant force him to eat anything, and year old toddlers can be picky as it is (this is also the time when they start learning the word no, and how to defy their parents... lol)...

If he isnt accustomed to eating 3 real meals a day already it may take some persistence. And it may be hard for you, but he is going to really start needing solid food. Especially the extra iron babies/toddlers need for proper growth.

He has eaten other things, he is just not consistant with his eating right now. One day he will totally dig sweet potato, the next day he won't touch it. Same with just about everything else aside from the yogart, and puffs. I guess I will just keep going and trying new stuff and he will eventually eat.

My son never liked eating textured food unless he was holding it lol ..hopefully yours will too

My son never liked eating textured food unless he was holding it lol ..hopefully yours will too

His thing now is to take whatever I give him, zuccini tonight, or berries and squish them in one fist, to the point his little hand is shaking. Then he just mushes it into the tray of his highchair. I tell ya, this boy is a pain in the butt sometimes!!!

Noah was very delayed with eating. He just wasn't ready when most where. What I did get him to eat finally was mash potatoes. Have you tried those? He also likes soupes. When he is eating does he open his mouth for the spoon or choke on the food? He might just not be ready yet if yes to those. I know how frustrating it can me believe me!

Hayden was the same way, he just liked no nurse, didn't want to eat. We started trying solids at 6mo, but he didn't eat anything really until 9mo and even after that it was one meal a day...somedays still nothing. He didn't get to eating "good" 3 meals most days until like 14mo. He just really preferred to nurse. He was dropping alot on the charts for weight, to the point he just stopped growing. So our pedi recommended trying to feed him first, then offering to nurse after, instead of the other way around. There reall is nothing you can do to make him, it will just come in time though. Just offer a variety of stuff and as he gets bigger I bet he will start to take more and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->