health care workers and the flu jab

snowy-willow

Mummy to Ella
Reaction score
Should all healthcare workers have to have the flu jab?

I hadn't really thought about it until my midwife said today she hasn't have the combined flu jab and should really have had it. To be honest it did make me think - she is going in and out of houses where pregnant ladies and newborn babies live as well as seeing a lot of pregnant women in clinics so is surrounded by people classed as a high risk. She has also just been off sick with flu - she came back today.

So should all healthcare workers have the jab? Should only those who are in direct contact with high risk patients be made to have it?

Well I dont think everyone should have to have it or not be able to do thier job.

I personally cant have any kind of live vacine for medical reasons. So making it compulsary isnt really a option for everyone.

Medical advice if you have the flu is to stay home. If everyone actually did that and kept their germs to themselves very few medical workers would actually come into contact with flu.

Also in times of shortage, which there oftern is I would rather that my elderly grandparent had the jab than my midwife

I dont think anyone should be forced into having any kind of medical treatment

No i really don't think its something that can be forced onto people regardless of their job roles

I personally don't think people should be forced but I think if they are in regular contact with at risk groups and those who could potentially have it then they should be offered it and given the option.

They are. My best mate is a care worker and he is 'asked' to have it. My mum work in a hospital and she was 'asked' to have swine flu this winter.

So they are offered free of charge and then its up to them.

I'm a support nurse and it is offered where i work.

I dont think they should be forced but they probably should have it x

I personally don't think people should be forced but I think if they are in regular contact with at risk groups and those who could potentially have it then they should be offered it and given the option.

Yeah I agree with this.

My sister works for the Health Protection Agency and she has had hers.They are medical professionals there to help treat a patient so I do think if they truly loved their job and all that its about they would have it done.

i dont think they should have to have it at the end of the day certain jabs may still be pretty new with no info about future problems with it and i for one do not care what job i have i would not risk problems with my own health where as said before if people stayied home when they had teh flu no problem and if people would catch it bin it wash hands or however it goes no problem again..

Basic human rights mean noone can be forced to have it and so it should stay

EDIT: Also if you *not op just you anyone lol* where that worried about catching it surely you would have the jab as a person not expect everyone to have it just so your safe?

i dont think they should have to have it at the end of the day certain jabs may still be pretty new with no info about future problems with it and i for one do not care what job i have i would not risk problems with my own health where as said before if people stayied home when they had teh flu no problem and if people would catch it bin it wash hands or however it goes no problem again..

EDIT: Also if you *not op just you anyone lol* where that worried about catching it surely you would have the jab as a person not expect everyone to have it just so your safe?

I found your post hard to understand so I might have misunderstood but the jab isnt available to everyone.

I found your post hard to understand so I might have misunderstood but the jab isnt available to everyone.

ahh ok i thought it was offered to high risk people being, old people, people with under lying health problems, young children and pregnant women

I think the other problem with saying if high risk people are worried they should have the jab is there isn't enough to go around. The doctors and chemists in my town and surrounding areas have run out which has left a lot of at risk patients without it.

I didn't even know I was classed as part of the at risk group until my midwife mentioned it by which time there were none left so I have no choice.

I agree. I said in another post the news make it worse.

My husband is a paramedic and he does most vaccinations, but not the flu shot. He (and I agree with him) doesn't think it's very accurate and prefers to keep handwashing and those sorts of protection as his number one defense.
I get the flu shot for myself and my boys as long as we are in the high risk categories (small children, etc).
I definitely don't think anyone should be forced to vaccinate. There should always be choice involved.

I've been reading a bit about your vax shortage in the UK. :( Not good. Hope you all stay healthy!

I have mixed feelings. Where an occupation has demonstrable risk of infection for certain transmissible or dangerous diseases I think it's ok for that role to stipulate the employee has to take appropriate measures for protection of themselves and others. There are quite a few jobs outside of healthcare where people are obliged to get vaccinations for their own safety. Obviously where an individual has a medical or ethical reason for not having a vaccination there has to be a get out clause, it would be discriminatory otherwise. But I don't think it should be used as a form of control. For example DH was strongly advised to get it following a sickness discliplinary meeting after being off four times in 12 months (all with highly contagious illnesses I add, their policy is insane). Basically he had to get it and was duly taken to occupational health that day where he wasn't asked if he has egg allergy or anything else. I find this terrifying!

On the issue of not knowing pregnant women are high risk this year, the reason is that in the summer the government pulled all funding from promotion of flu vaccination and the wash your hands campaign started with swine flu last year. They are now trying to reinstate it after seeing they were fools which is why mws have started informing us all. A little too late after over 50 deaths.

I'm a care worker, we're told it's a good idea, but because I personally have no health issues, I'm not entitled, it's fair enough that the ones at risk should be prioritised.

My mum is a matron in a old peoples home and she has to have it each year as she is in constant contact with the same at risk people all the time, especialy in a place like an old peoples home where things like flu or any contagious thing spreads like wild fire.

Im not sure though if its compulsery for her to have ill have to ask her.

One of my old jobs though I had to work with quarentined animals that had just come into the country from the airport (bulk loads for sale as well as family pets) and I had to have a course of rabies jabs and some others that I cant remember and that was a case of have it or your fired.

Edit.. just wanted to add typicaly after getting my course of rabies jabs I had to find a different job anyway because it turned out I was allergic to dogs :dohh: im fine with one or two but when its a few hundred stuck in a non ventalated building its too much, couldnt have found that one out before I had to get jabbed could I :)

I'm a mental health nurse and we are offered it, its up to us if we have it or not. I have never had it, and so far never had flu either.... *touches wood*

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->