Health visitor made me feel a little bit poop tbh!

PearDrops20

Reaction score
She assumed Isaac was sleeping through the night & when I corrected her by saying that he was still getting up once or twice she said in a really condescending way that at his age he should be sleeping through the night by now and self settling and not feeding to sleep as he was having 3 meals a day etc :nope: :growlmad:

So now I feel like I should be encouraging him to just not feed at all as he only feeds when he wants a nap during the day/evening and then before he goes to sleep.
He's never liked his cot, I get him to waking up once a night & something happens like teething or he gets Ill or we go on holiday -_-
Gah!
We have a set routine & I encourage him to self settle but he could happily cry all night.

I don't know what i want from this post encouragement/advice maybe?

Your Isaac sounds exactly like my Isaac! He bf to sleep until around 8/9 months then i rocked him to sleep untill 10 months and finally got him to self settle at 14 1/2 months and he still doesnt sleep through the night after eating 3 meals 3 snacks and 3/4 breast feeds. Things will happen in their own time. If you want to change things you can but not all babies can self settle and it took a few days of cc for my Isaac to get it and that was as a last resort.
Dont feel bad about it if it works for your family.

Absolute rubbish! Ignore her.

For starters most babies don't start to consistently sttn until about a year old. Some earlier some later but there's no age they "should" sttn. Follow your own instinct with what your lo needs. At 9 months my DD was still waking and feeding, we did the No Cry Sleep Solution at 9 months and sge then began self settling which meant less night wakings but she didn't cut out night wakings completely until about 13 months (obviously if she's ill she still sometimes wakes).

She's talking nonsense. HVs must get a very skewed view, as most people will gloss over things and lie for an easy life. I did first time round, but being a bit more confident now, I make a point of brightly saying "Nope, not sleeping through. We're fine thanks!" or "No, still 80% breastfed, he doesn't eat much solid food at all. Isn't he looking healthy!" If it's not a problem for you, then it isn't a problem.

I'm sorry she made you feel that way.
My dd3 turned 2 last month, she still doesn't STTN so boo to your HV.
If you are happy then forget her and carry on.

Why does it matter to your HV how much he sleeps?! Honestly sometimes I think HV are put on this earth to undermine us as parents!

Well I guess your lo hasn't been reading the literature that the hv has.
I swear they talk 95% shit.
I did find that ds slept better the more milk he had in the day and less solid food.
Xx

Thanks ladies :flower: We have already tried the putting him down awake etc but he just rolls over & crawls around the cot so its not really effective as he then just sits there and cries and I do hate it when he cries.
After thinking it over I thought that How many babies actually sleep through the night yet, none that I know of! So while sometimes I do wish he would sleep through i'll carry on the way we are as I know eventually he will get there :)

Some health visitors!! I had the same problem at 12 months when she asked about Holly. She then suggested weaning and controlled crying :dohh: There is nothing abnormal about an 8 month old waking still! I would ignore your HV and continue doing what you're doing :flower:

My niece is 15 months,ff and still wakes at night.My son is four in may and never sleeps through(maybe 1 day out of 10!) and he stopped bf almost a year ago!
Our hv turned up to do his 2 yr check and had a go at me about bf,co sleeping etc and I just told her I dont want advice Im happy with doing it my way lol.

I think when I see her again in April & she asks about his sleeping I'll just say it's fine for me thanks. I don't want to ever feel like that again when it's my choice to get up and feed him to sleep etc :) :flower:

Aaaaaargh, HV's drive me mad! She should come and talk to me - our LO still wakes up (freaking all the time atm!) and she's 2 months older than yours!
Admittedly I'm not terribly HAPPY about this, and am mostly avoiding cio because I don't want to make things even worse, but yeah - she's talking poop. Some babies may well do - but not all do!

at 9months my boy has only started sttn, and he dropped from feeding hourly to sleeping 7-7 each baby is different, if his feeds don't bother you then there isnt a problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->