Heart Palpitations?!

SonnyH

Reaction score
Is it normal to get constant heart palpitations in pregnancy? I've had a few episodes since early on but thought nothing of it since I've experienced them occasionally over the years! But for the last week, I feel like my heart has been going bonkers! When I take my pulse, it feels pretty normal but it feels like my heart is beating out of my chest! I can hear/feel my heartbeat in my ears, head, my arms.. ? It's really uncomfortable! And it's frequently through the day, often after I walk around but also at night time in bed.. I'm inclined to think it's just a pregnancy thing and nothing to worry about but I can't help fall on the side of being slightly anxious about my heart!

Never had it but I will definitely mention it to my doctor or midwife. Hopefully it will be nothing but I definitely wouldn't push it under the carpet. Good luck x

I've had them several times during the first tri and now almost everyday since being in the second tri. I think it's a normal preggo thing, but it's not constant for me. It'll be one episode a day, maybe a few seconds, where my heart races and feels like it's going to pop out! I haven't mentioned it to my mw though, maybe I should just incase! Although I'm sure she'd just say it's normal. If you're worried there's no harm is asking your midwife or doc.

I have had them on and off quite a bit this pregnancy. I did mention it to the midwife and a nurse at my dr surgery and neither were too concerned. I'm going to mention it again though as I don't like the feeling.

It's worth mentioning to your ob, but it's pretty common. I suffer from the anyway and they do get worse in pregnancy because your blood volume increases. What's helped me most is taking magnesium along with my prenatals. I take 500mg/day and it helps me significantly with palpitations (do your own research to determine what dose you feel comfortable taking). It takes a couple days to start working but I have definitely noticed a significant decrease in episodes (I get PVC's, basically where it feels like the heart misses beats). Hope that helps!

Oh, that's really helpful! Thanks guys! I'll have a look into magnesium for sure. I did wonder if it was iron levels, I've not eaten much meat for the last 20 weeks as I've gone completely off it so my iron intake must be pretty poor :( I don't really have any other symptoms of anaemia though! I bought some iron water this weekend to see if that helps a bit! From previous experience, iron tablets made me throw up, so I'm dreading needing them!

Yeah, it's pretty common. All the extra blood in circulation puts an extra strain on your heart.

I had horrible palpitations and what you described starting at 20 weeks. I went to the cardiologist and wore a heart monitor for 24 hours. Turns out my heart rate was going up to 170, and I have been on medical disability since then. I was also having PVCs, which are pretty common and harmless, just uncomfortable. You should ask your OBGYN for a consult. No harm can come from it and I am sure will ease your mind. I would be careful taking any supplements (besides prenatals) before going to the doctor, since too much magnesium can be just as dangerous as low magnesium. For some people, tachycardia and palpitations are just a side effect of pregnancy and the increased volume.

Just a note on the iron water (I'm taking it as my levels were a bit low) try putting it in fresh fruit juice as it hides the taste!

Just a note on the iron water (I'm taking it as my levels were a bit low) try putting it in fresh fruit juice as it hides the taste!

Thank you! Yes, after making the mistake of having it in water the first time, I've been having it in some smoothie, can't taste it all! :) although it makes my heartburn go bonkers! But you know, if it's not one thing, it's another! I do feel less lethargic after just 5 days of taking it, so clearly I did need a boost!

I'm going to see how the palpitations go over the next few days and if they continue, I'll pop see my doctor after Christmas. I'm not too worried but they are very uncomfortable at night time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->